In this section

Who is it for?

If you’re looking for a basic bank account that’s free for day-to-day use, the Virgin Money Essential Current Account Issue 2 could be perfect for you.

What does it offer?

  • No overdraft which means no overdraft fees to worry about.
  • No charge for unpaid Direct Debits or standing orders.
  • Contactless debit card you can use at cash machines*, in shops, online and abroad.
  • Earn 0.75% Gross1/AER2 (variable) interest on balances up to £100,000. Interest is paid monthly.
  • Manage it through Virgin Money Stores and at any Post Office®, with limited online services.

Enjoy Virgin Money customer benefits

Get all the perks of being a Virgin Money customer including free use of our Lounges and offers around the world of Virgin.

How to apply

  1. Find your local Store to book an appointment.
  2. Bring 2 pieces of IDLink opens in a new window and 3 years' address history to your appointment.
  3. If accepted, your debit card will be sent within 5 working days, followed by your PIN number.

Before you apply

Who can open an account?

  • You must be 18 or over and resident in the UK or EU to open an Essential Current Account.
  • You can open an account on your own or as a joint account.
  • We can open an account for you if you are currently bankrupt or have experienced financial difficulty.
  • As part of your application, we will carry out a credit check to verify your identity. We accept applications from people with no credit history or a poor credit history, as the account has no overdraft facility.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

We need to verify your identity and current address using valid ID. As proof of identity, we will need to see one of the documents from List A and one from List B. If you don’t have documents from the lists below, please talk to us in Store – we’re here to help you.

List A

  • Valid Passport*
  • Valid Photocard Driving Licence (full or provisional)*
  • Full old-style Driving Licence issued before 1998*
  • Valid UK Shotgun Licence or Firearms Certificate
  • National Identity Card (if you are a non-UK national)*
  • HM Revenue & Customs Letter (coding confirmation/assessment letter/tax credit) quoting your National Insurance Number
  • Local Authority Housing Benefit Letter confirming your benefits at time of issue
  • State or Local Authority Educational Grant Letter e.g. educational grant
  • Department for Work & Pensions Letter confirming your benefits or pension entitlement at time of issue
  • Current Northern Ireland Electoral ID Card
  • Immigration Status Document (ISD)/Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)*

List B

  • Bank/Building Society Statement (not from Virgin Money)*
  • Credit Card Statement or Mortgage Statement issued to your home address (not from Virgin Money)*
  • Local Authority Council Tax Demand Letter or Statement
  • Utility Bill e.g. gas, electricity, water, home phone bill (not mobile phone bill)*

*Applicants resident in the EU can provide these documents. Non photo ID must be officially translated into English and notarised.


Providing original documents

The documents you provide should be originals, showing your current name and address. They must be your most recent documents and not printed from the internet.

Please note that utility bills should be no more than three months old, and HM Revenue & Customs, Council Tax and Department for Work & Pensions documents must not be more than 12 months old.

Please note, documents for EU residents will need to be translated and notarised. You can check for your nearest notary at

Providing certified documents

We can also accept certified copies of documents, as long as the certifier states the following information on the document:

  • This confirmation statement: "I certify this to be a true and accurate copy of the original"
  • Their full name
  • Their position/capacity
  • Their address or company stamp
  • Their contact telephone number
  • Their signature
  • The date certified

Examples of individuals from whom we will accept certified documents are:

  • Actuary
  • Accountants
  • Authorised Financial Intermediaries e.g. Independent Financial Advisers
  • Store/Bank or Building Society counter staff including a branch/Store stamp
  • Doctors/GPs
  • FCA/PRA Authorised Intermediaries (Mortgage Adviser/Independent Financial Adviser)
  • Job Centre employee including their Job Centre stamp
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Lawyers, Barristers, Solicitors or Notaries Public
  • Legal Secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
  • Local Councillors or Members of Parliament (including Members of the European or Devolved Parliaments)
  • Members of the Judiciary
  • Officials of an Embassy, Consulate or High Commission of the country issuing the Passport
  • Post Office employees though the Post Office Certification Scheme
  • Senior Civil Servants
  • Senior Police Officers quoting collar number and where stationed

Providing documents as a Power of Attorney

We require one document from ‘List A’ and one document from ‘List B’. However, if you are unable to supply a document from ‘List B’ you may provide one of the following alternative documents:

  • Original Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney documents which have been registered at the Court of Protection, show the current name of the donor and have the relevant court stamp or a fully certified copy as such by a Solicitor (this is also required in order to open all Power of Attorney accounts).
  • Original letter from management at the care/nursing home on their letterhead confirming your residence.
  • A Birth Certificate can be used if it is in the same name as the donor, however, if the names are different i.e. through marriage or change of name, supporting documentation will be required such as a Marriage Certificate or deed poll document.

Can I switch into the account?

If you have another UK current account that you have not yet switched to us, it is quick and easy to do. We can transfer the balance and any Direct Debits and standing orders from your old account to us in just seven business days, thanks to our Current Account Switch Service.

The service is completely free and backed by an industry-wide Current Account Switch Guarantee to ensure the move goes smoothly.

If you are interested in switching, speak to the team at your local Virgin Money Store. To get started, we will just need your old bank details and preferred switch date.

Rates are effective from 19.09.16. The rate of interest is variable, so it could go up or down, is paid gross and monthly. Gross is the rate of interest earned before income tax is deducted. Automatic deduction of tax on interest stopped on 6 April 2016. However, you may be liable to pay income tax on the interest you have earned, depending on your personal circumstances. Please contact HMRC or your applicable tax authority outside of the UK for further information or visit opens in a new window  AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate. It shows what the interest rate would be if interest was added each year to the account balance (including any interest already earned that year).

* Some cash machines may charge you for withdrawals. This will be shown on screen with an option to cancel the withdrawal.

 Link opens in a new window