What is a balance transfer credit card?
A balance transfer lets you move a balance from another credit or store card to your Virgin Money Credit Card. By moving your balance to a lower rate, you’ll pay less interest, so you could save money. Sweet.
It could be, if you’re paying interest on a credit or store card.
There’s usually a fee for making a balance transfer. But even after you’ve paid this, you could still be better off.
- How long will the promotional rate last?
- Will you save money over the promotional period – even after paying the balance transfer fee?
- What is the standard interest rate after your promotional period ends?
- You’ll need to make your minimum payment when it’s due. If you don’t, we’ll stop your promotional rate (from the start of that statement period). So it’s worth setting up a Direct Debit to meet your monthly repayment.
- When your promotional rate ends or we stop it, we’ll charge you the current standard interest rate.
- The balance you're transferring can't be from another Virgin Money, Clydesdale Bank, Yorkshire Bank or B credit card. And you shouldn’t use your card to repay borrowing from Clydesdale Bank PLC (like a loan, overdraft or mortgage).
It's easy to apply, and we’ll let you know if your transfer request has been approved as soon as possible.
If you apply as part of your credit card application and we approve, we’ll get the money to your existing credit card provider three to four business days after you ask for the transfer.
You can also apply to make a transfer once your account is up and running. If you ask for the transfer:
- Before 4pm, Sunday to Thursday, we’ll get the money to your existing credit card provider the next business day.
- After 4pm, Sunday to Wednesday, we’ll get the money to your existing credit card provider in two business days.
- Between 4pm Thursday and 12am Sunday, we’ll get the money to your existing credit card provider the following Monday (excluding Bank Holidays).
- Remember, you’ll need to continue making payments on your existing card until your transfer’s all sorted.
You can make balance transfers from a UK credit card or certain store cards in your name via the Virgin Money Credit Card app.
- In the app, just tap the ‘Payments’ icon.
- Follow the instructions and read the ‘Important information’ before you complete your transfer.
- You'll need your password which will be at least 8 characters, including 3 of the following: numbers, upper case letters, lower case letters and special characters (such as *!@?).
Transfers usually take a few days to complete, but if we need to carry out some additional checks this could mean the transfer takes a bit longer to complete.
Please check your transactions to make sure your balance transfer request has been completed as expected. If you’ve frozen your card, your transfer won't be approved.
Forgotten your password? If you are using fingerprint or face ID, log out of the app and open it back up again. Before you login, click the "forgot" button at the bottom left and follow the steps to reset your details. You'll need your Virgin Money or Virgin Atlantic Credit Card handy. If you don't have your card to hand, contact us.
You won’t be able to make balance transfers to this account from another card issued by Clydesdale Bank PLC (including Virgin Money, Virgin Atlantic, Clydesdale Bank, Yorkshire Bank or ‘B’ credit cards), a non-UK financial organisation and certain store cards.
Your store card needs to have a VISA or MasterCard logo to process your balance transfer request.
If you're a new customer you'll need to complete a balance transfer within the first 60 days of having your account for you to receive the introductory balance transfer offer. Don’t forget – promotional rates start from the date your account is opened, not from when you transfer your balance.
Don’t have our app? Head to the App Store or Google Play and search for Virgin Money Credit Card.