Skip to main content

Information for existing customers

If you have a Virgin Money mortgage on a property that is impacted by potentially unsafe External Wall Systems (which include cladding and balconies), we are here to support you.

What will happen to my mortgage in future?

When you come to the end of your current mortgage deal, we will offer you a new mortgage product, just as we always would. This means that whilst you may have to keep your mortgage with us until any External Wall Systems (EWS) safety issues are resolved, you will be able get a new mortgage deal.

Once your EWS is replaced and certified as safe, you will be able to apply to move your mortgage to another lender, if you wish to.

Can I borrow additional funds?

As a responsible lender, any applications for additional borrowing from customers impacted by potentially unsafe EWS will be carefully considered before a decision is made. We would consider each customer’s individual circumstances. If the funds were required to carry out the necessary remedial works, further information would be required from the building’s owner in order to make an assessment.

Can I sell my property?

Buildings with potentially unsafe EWS will be difficult to sell until the fire safety status is known and any remedial work (if required) is underway (and funded) or completed. This is because potential buyers may have uncertainty around the risks associated with the EWS, and mortgage lenders won't lend on a property without a certified valuation detailing the safety of the EWS. A completed External Wall Fire Review form, known as an EWS1 form, may be required.

What is an EWS1 or External Wall Fire Review form?

The assessment of a building’s External Wall System (EWS) enables a building owner to confirm that their EWS has been assessed for safety by a suitable expert. Where a valuer has fire safety concerns with a building, they’ll decline the property until they receive an EWS1 form.

The EWS1 form is the responsibility of the building owner (property owner in Scotland) to undertake. They must appoint a suitably qualified member of one of the appropriate professional bodies to complete, sign and upload the form to the online Building Safety Portal Link opens in a new window. The form will indicate whether the professional has deemed the property’s EWS to be ‘low risk’ or ‘high risk’.

If you are a customer based in Scotland, and are choosing a firm to complete an EWS1 form on your property, please ensure that they are willing to upload it to the Building Safety Portal Link opens in a new window because other lenders, like ourselves, may insist upon it. Failing to do so, may result in disappointment, inconvenience and additional expense.

Useful advice and support

RICS Cladding External Wall System (EWS) FAQs
Frequently asked questions on Cladding External Wall System (EWS).

Visit RICS Link opens in a new window

Advice on budgeting and managing your money.

Visit MoneyHelper Link opens in a new window

Citizens Advice
Debt and consumer advice service, covering everything from managing debt to negotiating with creditors.

Visit Citizens Advice Link opens in a new window

Get in touch
If you have any queries about your mortgage, and how it may be impacted, call us on 0345 602 8301. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm and Saturday 9am - 1pm.

Call charges and information
03 numbersSame as calls to 01 or 02 numbers and they are included in inclusive minutes and discount schemes in the same way.
084 numbersMaximum of 7p per minute, plus your phone company's access charge.
087 numbersMaximum of 13p per minute, plus your phone company's access charge.
0800 numbersFree from UK landlines and personal mobile phones.

Calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes.