What is the Current Account Switch Guarantee?
Looking for simple, reliable and stress-free switching? The Current Account Switch Guarantee means we'll do all the hard work.
- We'll switch your payments and balance to your new account and arrange for your old one to be closed.
- After your switch, we'll send any money paid into your old account to your new one.
- You're covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee which means you'll never be out of pocket if anything goes wrong.
Ready, set, switch
It's easy and straightforward to switch. You can switch at any time in the mobile app after opening your account.
- Check your personal information with your old bank matches what we have (name, address etc).
- Give us your old account debit card details and pick a switch date.
- That's it! Sit back and we'll do all the hard work. It'll take seven working days to complete the switch.
New to Virgin Money?
If you're new to Virgin Money and looking to switch, you'll need to open a current account first. We're all about rewarding our customers with high interest rates, cashback, exclusive access to products - and so much more!View our current accounts
Got a joint account?
If you want to switch your joint account, give us a call on 0800 678 3654 or +44 141 221 7300 if you're abroad. We're here Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm and Saturday 9am - 1pm. Calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes.
Start your switch today
- Open your Virgin Money app
- Tap on your current account
- Tap on the three dots (top right)
- Tap Switch to Virgin Money
Don't have the app? Download our app to switch
If you're using the overdraft on your old account, you'll need to pay the money back or arrange an overdraft limit with us (subject to status) before your switch starts. Otherwise, your old account can't be closed.Request an arranged overdraft
Third Party Providers
If you have given permissions to Third Party Providers to make payments on your behalf, or to access your financial data, access to these services won't be transferred automatically to your new account as part of the Current Account Switch Service.Things to consider before you switch
Third Party Provider permissionsClose Modal
If you have given permissions to Third Party Providers, here's a few things to consider before you switch:
- Check whether you have any Third Party Provider permissions set up and if so, who with.
- Once your new account is open you can give your permission to the Third Party Provider to access your new account by providing them with your new account details. You will need to contact the Third Party Provider directly yourself to set this up.
- If you are unsure as to whether your New Bank will support the Third Party Provider permissions on your account, you will need to discuss this ahead of your switch with your New Provider who will be able to advise you of this.
- Please check your new provider’s terms and conditions for more information about Third Party Providers.
The switch will take seven working days. You choose a date you want the switch to happen. It needs to be at least seven working days in the future.
We’ll transfer over all direct debits. If you have subscriptions like Amazon Prime or Netflix set up using your debit card, you'll need to change the details yourself.
Your old account will be closed. You won’t have access to the account anymore so make sure to download any statements you may need.
No problem. The Current Account Switch Guarantee will catch this and move the money into your new Virgin Money account. We’ll also let that payee know that your account details have changed.
The easiest way to switch is to download the app. If you have to switch online, you'll need to select 'continue application'.Continue application to switch online
That’s fine. If you only want to move some of your payments across you can use the Payment Transfer Service, which isn’t covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee.
- Your old account will stay open, and anyone making payments to it won’t receive details of your new current account.
- Your Direct Debits and Standing Orders will be transferred to your new account over a three month period – either all on the same date, or at different times.