What you need to do
It's easy to switch. For a straightforward switch please;
- tell us the date you want the switch from your old account to ours to happen
- make sure the information you give us is the same as what you have with your old bank - name, address etc
- give us the debit card number you have with your old account, even if you don't use it anymore
- joint bank account switchers can also open an account online but please give us a call on 0800 678 3654 so we can complete the switch
What we'll do for you
- Transfer your balance to your Virgin Money current account and arrange for your old one to be closed*. It takes around seven days.
- Transfer all your regular outgoing payments. Note this doesn't include any recurring payments set up on your old debit card, such as film and music streaming subscriptions.
- Send any money paid into your old account to your new one automatically.
- Give details of your new account to anyone making payments to your old one.
- It’s all covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee, so you'll get a refund if there are any holdups which mean you lose interest or you have to pay interest or other charges.
*If you're using the overdraft on your old account, you'll need to pay the money back or arrange an overdraft limit with us (subject to status) before your switch starts. Otherwise your old account can't be closed.
If your new bank or building society agrees, bank accounts that include an overdraft can switch using the Current Account Switch Service. And if you'd like to have an overdraft with your new bank account, speak to your new bank or building society before starting your switch. Your new bank or building society will be able to advise if you're eligible for an overdraft, dependent on their lending criteria and your credit status.Third Party Provider permissions – things to consider
If you have given permissions to Third Party Providers to make payments on your behalf, or to access your financial data, access to these services won’t be transferred automatically to your new account as part of the Current Account Switch Service.
- Before you close your old account, check whether you have any Third Party Provider permissions set up and if so, who with.
- Once your new account is open you can give your permission to the Third Party Provider to access your new account by providing them with your new account details. You will need to contact the Third Party Provider directly yourself to set this up.
- If you are unsure as to whether your New Bank will support the Third Party Provider permissions on your account, you will need to discuss this ahead of your switch with your New Provider who will be able to advise you of this.
Please check your new provider’s terms and conditions for more information about Third Party Providers.
View our Current Account Switch Guide
The Current Account Switch Guarantee
The Current Account Switch Service moves your current account from one bank or building society to another in just seven working days. If there are any holdups which mean you lose or pay interest or other charges, you’ll be refunded. The whole process is quick, reliable and guaranteed.Read the full Current Account Switch Guarantee Link opens in a new window
If we agree, you’ll also be able to transfer your overdraft to us using the Current Account Switch Service. Just tell us before starting your switch. We’ll let you know if you’re eligible.
Want to keep your old current account open?
That’s fine. If you only want to move some of your payments across you can use the Payment Transfer Service, which isn’t covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee.
Your old account will stay open, and anyone making payments to it won’t receive details of your new current account.
Your Direct Debits and Standing Orders will be transferred to your new account over a three month period – either all on the same date, or at different times.
Start your switch today
All our current accounts are backed by the Current Account Switch Guarantee.If you already have one of our brighter current accounts
You can choose to switch in from any current accounts you may have with other banks.
To switch a sole account at another bank to your existing sole Virgin Money current account or to transfer some payments over from that account without closing it, you can do this in the Virgin Money app. Just open the Virgin Money app, select the current account you want to switch into, tap the “Switch to Virgin Money” tile near the top of the screen and follow the instructions. It should take you no more than a few minutes to submit your request.
If you want to switch or do a payment transfer for a joint account call us on 0800 678 3654 (Select the switching option). We’re here Mon - Fri 8am to 6pm and Sat 9am - 1pm.