Buying your first home is an exciting time. But getting your foot on the property ladder can be expensive.
That’s where shared ownership comes in. Shared ownership is a way of owning your own home by sharing the financial commitment with a Housing Association. It helps people across the UK who might not quite be able to afford the mortgage on 100% of a home right now and gives them the option to work towards owning more over time.
How it works
- Register for shared ownership with a Housing Association.
- Passed the checks? You’ll be shortlisted for a property.
- You take out a mortgage for between 25% and 75% of the property value.
- You pay the Housing Association subsidised rent on their share.
Remember, you can increase your share of the property over time by buying it from the Housing Association, this is called ‘Staircasing’. Or, if you decide to move on, you’ll get back any equity on the share you own.
Help someone back on their feet
For every Shared Ownership mortgage completion we will donate £100 to Crisis to help someone get back on their feet.
Crisis is working in partnership with Virgin Money. Crisis’ partnership with Virgin Money in no way acts as Crisis’ endorsement of Virgin Money mortgages above any other UK Mortgage product or offer.
Facts on shared ownership
- You are eligible if you have a household income of less than £80K (£90K in London).
- With Virgin Money, you will require a deposit of at least 5% of the share you purchase.
- You won't need to save up as much or as long for a deposit so it can get you on the property ladder quicker than buying 100% of a property.
- It can work out cheaper than private rent.
Find out more information on Shared Ownership Link opens in a new window
Shared ownership in three minutes
YOUR HOME MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE
Get started today
Find your local Housing Association through a Help to Buy agent.Find an agent Link opens in a new window
Crisis UK (trading as Crisis). Registered Charity Numbers: E&W1082947 , SC040094. Company Number: 4024938 (Crisis UK is a company limited by guarantee). Crisis at Christmas. Company Number: 1949056 (Crisis at Christmas is a company limited by guarantee and is controlled by Crisis). The registered office of each of Crisis and Crisis at Christmas is 66 Commercial Street, London, E1 6LT.