Skip to main content

When an airline cancels a flight you are entitled to certain refunds and compensation from the airline.

We ask that before you contact us in relation to costs arising from the recent spate of flight cancellations that you first directly approach your airline, tour operator or packaged holiday organiser.

If you are unable to get a refund or compensation from any of the above companies and you paid for your trip with a credit card you may also be able to recover your costs through section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act or via a 'chargeback claim'.

This will all depend on what you want to be covered for. You may want to consider how much your holiday has cost you and whether you have any pre-existing medical conditions that you could potentially need emergency treatment for abroad.

We offer a variety of products to help you pick the right one according to your holidays plans and needs.

We have no upper age limit on our Virgin Money Website for Single Trip policies. For our Annual Multi-Trip cover you must be aged 80 or under at the start of the policy period.

If you purchased your insurance through a comparison site such as you must be aged 85 or under for Single Trip policies, or 75 or under for Annual Multi-Trip policies.

Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18 named on the insurance policy for the duration of the trip.

The core elements of Virgin Money Travel Insurance are underwritten by ERGO Travel Insurance Services Ltd (ETI) on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE (GLISE)

The Underwriter is Great Lakes Insurance SE (GLISE). GLISE is a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königinstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch office: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London, EC3M 5BN, company number SE000083. GLISE, UK Branch, is authorised and regulated by Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht. Deemed authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Firm Reference Number: 769884. Subject to regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority and limited regulation by the Prudential Regulation Authority. Details of the Temporary Permissions Regime, which allows EEA-based firms to operate in the UK for a limited period while seeking full authorisation, are available on the Financial Conduct Authority’s website.

For Single Trip policies, the maximum trip duration is 90 days unless agreed by us in writing.

For Annual Multi-Trip policies, the maximum duration of cover available, unless otherwise shown on your Policy Schedule, is:

  • Red / Economy - 31 days
  • Silver / Standard - 45 days
  • Gold / Premium - 94 days

No, only UK residents who are registered with a UK GP can purchase travel insurance from Virgin Money. You must purchase travel insurance before leaving the UK, if you purchase a policy after leaving the UK there will be no cover and the policy may be void.

The benefits, limits and excesses within your policy are per person, per claim. Therefore, if you have a Family or Group policy, the limits and excesses will be for each of you individually.

If any of your details change then you will need to contact us on 0330 175 8283 as soon as possible to update your policy.

If your details have changed and you travel without informing us of the changes then we may be unable to honour any claims which arise.

If you are only planning to travel once in a year, then a Single Trip policy could be more appropriate for you. However, if you are planning to go on holiday more than once in a year then an Annual Multi-Trip policy could be more cost effective and save you having to take out a new policy each time you travel.

You should ensure that each of the holidays you are planning will be covered by the policy you have selected.

Yes, our Single Trip and Annual Multi-Trip policies cover holidays in the UK. You are covered for any trip not exceeding the maximum trip length as confirmed in your policy schedule, where you have pre-booked at least two nights’ accommodation.

Travel delay is not covered for any trips within the UK (except for trips to the Channel Islands)

Provided you have not already left the UK, a Virgin Money travel insurance policy will provide you with cover as soon as your purchase has been confirmed.

Yes, Single Trip policies do cover you to travel to multiple destinations. You will need to ensure that all the countries you will visit are noted on your policy schedule.

You can now purchase a Single Trip policy up to 13 months in advance and an Annual Multi-Trip policy 45 days in advance. However, think about purchasing your policy as soon after you book as possible to cover you for cancellation.

You should always check the FDCO travel advice’s entry requirements of your intended destination before purchasing a policy. If the FCDO travel advice changes you would not be covered to cancel your trip. Instead, please speak with your travel agent or tour operator to seek rearrangement or refund. If you have purchased the Enhanced covid cover, you would be covered to travel to a European country if the FCDO advice is against “all but essential travel” solely due to covid.

The Enhanced Covid Cover add on will cover any trip made within Europe. Please note, our Enhanced Covid Cover is not available through a price comparison website.

If you have purchased the Enhanced Covid Cover add on, you will be covered if you need to cancel your trip because of a bad reaction to a covid vaccination. Without this add on you won’t be covered. This add on only covers you for trips within Europe.

Please note, our Enhanced Covid Cover is not available through a price comparison website.

If you have purchased the Enhanced Covid Cover add on you will be covered if you need to cancel your trip because you are required to self-isolate by UK Government’s Test and Trace service. Without this add on you won’t be covered. This add on only covers you for trips within Europe.

Please note, our Enhanced Covid Cover is not available through a price comparison website.

The GHIC card (that replaced the EHIC card post Brexit) enables you to access medically necessary state provided healthcare in the European Union (EU) at a reduced cost. If you have an EHIC card this will continue to be valid until it expires.

This card does not cover you for repatriation back to the UK, so it is recommended that you ensure you have sufficient insurance. Travel insurance also offers other benefits not covered by the GHIC.

You can use a UK passport to get medically necessary healthcare in Norway (for example emergency treatment, or to treat a pre-existing condition). Some people can apply for a new UK EHIC that they can continue to use from 1 January 2021 in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

Visit Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office Link opens in a new window or the NHS Link opens in a new window to find out exactly what you are covered for and how to apply.

You are covered for bodily injury and illness whilst travelling when pregnant. Please check your transport provider’s guidelines before travelling as they may have restrictions.

There is no cover available for medical costs associated with normal pregnancy. This policy is designed to provide cover for unforeseen events, accidents, illnesses and diseases and normal childbirth would not constitute an unforeseen event. Any costs arising from your pregnancy or childbirth, if the expected date of delivery is less than 12 weeks (16 weeks for a multiple birth) after the end of the trip, are excluded.

We offer Cruise Cover on Single Trip policies. You must select Cruise Cover if you are planning on going on a cruise holiday. If you choose to include our Cruise Cover option, you will see this detailed in your policy schedule.

As cruise holidays cover many different destinations, please ensure you’re covered for each country you’ll be visiting. Cruise cover is only available on single trip policies, not annual multi-trip policies.

Yes, if you buy our Winter Sports cover option. It covers you for medical treatment because of taking part in winter sports activities; damage or loss of skis and skiing equipment, and piste closure. You won’t be covered for these as standard. For more information, please see our policy wording.

No, policyholders must be at least 18 years of age and children aged 17 or under are only covered when travelling with an adult covered under the same policy.

No, Virgin Money Travel Insurance does not cover business or voluntary work.

Our products include Scheduled Airline Failure at no extra cost, providing you cover if your airline supplier fails financially.

If the flight is ATOL bonded, you may recover your money from them.

If you need to amend any of your personal details, add people to the policy, increase the cover or add extra options such as Winter Sports Cover, you will need to contact us to get an updated policy.

Please call Customer Services on 0330 175 8283 to amend or update your policy.

Your policy wording provides you all of the details you need in order to make a claim. If you have a medical emergency while abroad, contact the Emergency Medical Assistance Team on the telephone numbers below:

ETI Emergency Assistance 24 hours, 7 days a week:

Tel: +44 (0) 1403 788 702 (from anywhere except the USA, Canada or Mexico)
+1-877-311-3720 (from the USA or Canada)
+1-786-206-9921 (from Mexico)