What is a money transfer?
A money transfer is a really flexible feature of a Virgin Money Credit Card that allows you to move money into your current account.
- As an example, if your credit card limit is £5,000
- You can transfer up to 95% of that credit limit to your current account
- That’s a boost of £4,750
Once the money is in your bank account, you can use it for anything you like – from paying off existing debt, to home improvements, or simply to enjoy a holiday.
Remember, when transferring funds from your card to repay other debt, this may give you an initial saving each month but it may take you longer and cost you more to repay back the full amount in the long run. You should also check with the lender you are paying off if there is a fee for settling a loan early. A money transfer should not be used to pay off other borrowed funds from Virgin Money e.g. loan, overdraft or mortgage.
Not all credit card providers offer money transfers, and we are proud to be one of the few who do.
Is a money transfer right for me?
Some things to think about
- You can make a money transfer for up to 95% of your credit limit.
- The promotional rate and fee applies for transfers made in the first 60 days of opening your account. After this standard rates and fees will apply.
- After the introductory rate period ends, the interest on money transfers goes to your standard rate.
- It is a good idea to set up a Direct Debit to meet your monthly repayment to help you pay off your balance before you start getting charged interest. This can also help you avoid missing a payment, which will result in the withdrawal of this promotional rate.
About money transfers
It is straightforward to apply online with our safe and secure online application. As part of your application you can ask to transfer money to your current account. If your application is approved, the money will be available three to four business days after.
Once your account is up and running, you can make a money transfer. If your request is received:
- before 4pm, Sunday to Thursday, the money will be in your account the next business day;
- after 4pm, Sunday to Wednesday, the money will be in your account in two business days; or
- between 4pm Thursday and 12am Sunday, the money will be in your account the following Monday (excluding Bank Holidays).
The promotional period, for money transfers on Virgin Money Credit Cards is available to new customers as soon as they open the account – something not all credit card providers offer.
Ready to transfer?
If you’re ready to make a transfer, here's what you need to do:
- Sign in to the app and go to ‘Payments’
- Choose ‘Money transfer’
- Pick the transfer rate that’s right for you
- Tell us how much you want to transfer
- Enter the account number and sort code of the account you’re transferring from
- For security you’ll be asked to enter your app password, so make sure you know this
If you haven’t already, download it from the App Store or Google Play (search ‘Virgin Money Credit Card’). It’s easy to do and only takes a few minutes to get up and running. You’ll need your card to register.
Once you’ve got the app, you can access your account on the move.Link opens in a new window Link opens in a new window