Critical Illness Cover is designed to help provide financial assistance if you are diagnosed with a critical illness during the term of the policy. If you include Additional Critical Illness Cover on your policy the sum assured is a fixed amount which won't decrease over time. The money is often used to help with medical expenses or to cover loss of income during this difficult time. We only cover the critical illnesses we define in our policy.
Below are just some of the critical illnesses we cover although they have conditions / exclusions that apply. You can view the list of conditions insured by our Critical Illness Cover in the Policy Summary Link opens in a new window
- Cancer - excluding less advanced cases
- Stroke - of specified severity
- Coronary artery by-pass grafts - with surgery
- Benign brain tumour - resulting in permanent symptoms
- Alzheimer's Disease before age 65 - resulting in permanent symptoms
- Blindness - permanent and irreversible
- Deafness - permanent and irreversible
- Kidney failure - requiring regular dialysis
- Heart attack - of specified severity
- Multiple sclerosis - with current symptoms
- Parkinson's disease - resulting in permanent symptoms
- Heart valve replacement or repair - with surgery
- Aorta graft surgery - for disease or trauma
- Coma - resulting in permanent symptoms
The critical illness cover complies with the Association of British Insurers' Guide to Minimum Standards for Critical Illness Cover.
Extra critical illness
The following Extra Critical Illnesses will also be included if your policy includes a Critical Illness benefit. For these illnesses we will pay the lower of £20,000 or 20% of the critical illness sum assured.
These headings are only a guide to what is covered. The full definitions of the illnesses covered and the circumstances in which you can claim are given in the Policy Terms and Conditions Link opens in a new window
- Low Grade Prostate Cancer
- Carcinoma of the breast - requiring surgery
- Crohn's Disease - severe
- Angioplasty - double vessel
- Ulcerative Colitis - requiring surgery
Child Critical Illness Cover is not a standalone product and can only be added if you have our Life Insurance with Critical Illness Cover. This cover pays out 25% of your critical illness sum assured or £25,000 whichever is less. We will only pay one claim per child but will cover multiple claims within your family.