What you need to do
All we’ll need from you is the date you want the switch from your old account to ours. You can tell us when you apply, the service is free to use and takes just 7 working days to complete.
What we'll do for you
- Transfer your balance to your Virgin Money Business Current Account and arrange for your old one to be closed*. It takes around 7 days.
- The Current Account Switch Service moves your current account from one bank or building society to another in just 7 working days.
- Ensure any accidental payments made to your business current account in the future will be automatically redirected.
- Give the details of your new account to anyone making payments to your old one.
- Make sure it’s all covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee, so you’ll get a refund if there are any holdups which mean you lose interest or you have to pay interest or other charges.
*If you’re using the overdraft on your old account, you’ll need to pay the money back or arrange a planned borrowing limit with us (subject to status) before your switch starts. Otherwise your old account can’t be closed.Third Party Provider permissions – things to consider
If you have given permissions to Third Party Providers to make payments on your behalf, or to access your financial data, access to these services won’t be transferred automatically to your new account as part of the Current Account Switch Service.
- Before you close your old account, check whether you have any Third Party Provider permissions set up and if so, who with.
- Once your new account is open you can give your permission to the Third Party Provider to access your new account by providing them with your new account details. You will need to contact the Third Party Provider directly yourself to set this up.
- If you are unsure as to whether your New Bank will support the Third Party Provider permissions on your account, you will need to discuss this ahead of your switch with your New Provider who will be able to advise you of this.
Please check your new provider’s terms and conditions for more information about Third Party Providers.
The Current Account Switch Guarantee
The Current Account Switch Service moves your current account from one bank or building society to another in just seven working days. If there are any holdups which mean you lose or pay interest or other charges, you'll be refunded. The whole process is quick, reliable and guaranteed.Read the full Current Account Switch Guarantee Link opens in a new window
If we agree, you'll also be able to transfer your overdraft to us using the Current Account Switch Service. Just tell us before starting your switch. We’ll let you know if you're eligible.
Who's it available to?
Businesses that employ fewer than 50 employees, and have an annual turnover of no more than £6.5m (including Sole Traders, Partnerships and Limited Companies).
Small charities with an annual income of less than £6.5m.
Small trusts with a net asset value of less than £6.5m.
Larger organisation looking to switch?
While the Current Account Switch Service is only available to smaller business, if you’re a larger business looking to switch to us, we’ll make sure you get the support you need. As part of our Payment Transfer Service, we can help you transfer your direct debits and standing orders to your new account. You’ll need to transfer your balance and close your old account yourself. But don’t worry, we will guide you through the whole process to make sure nothing important gets missed.
This service is still free, but it may take longer than 7 working days and isn’t backed by the Current Account Switch Guarantee.
Frequently asked questions about switching
Not all banks or building societies in the UK offer the Current Account Switch Service. We can still help you switch your account and any regular payments to us when we are unable to use the Current Account Switch Service.
As your new bank we will take care of everything, managing the switch process from start to finish. This service is completely free; however it isn't covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee.
Once you have opened an account with us, we will ask you to complete a simple form and then we'll contact your old bank or building society within two business days to request a list of all your regular payments and regular credits received into your account for the last 13 months. Your old bank or building society should send us this information within five business days.
Once we receive the information from your old bank or building society we will arrange for any Standing Orders, Direct Debits and any regular credits made to your account to be transferred to your new account with us within five business days. We will contact you to agree a date to complete the switch.
The Current Account Switch Service will redirect payments to your new account. Each time an electronic payment is redirected an automatic message is sent back to the originator advising them of the new account details so they can update their records. Some organisations may contact you directly to confirm your details have changed.
Our Payment Transfer Service could be the answer if you’re not eligible for the Current Account Switch Service, or don’t want to use it.
This service lets you transfer your direct debits and standing orders from your old account to your new one over a three month period. You can make all the changes from the same date or at different times.
With the Payment Transfer Service your old account stays open and we won’t give your new account details to anyone who makes payments to your old account.
The Payment Transfer Service isn’t covered by the Current Account Switch Guarantee. However it is available to all customers and for more types of current account.