Virgin Money extends London Marathon Sponsorship to 2021
- Over half a billion pounds raised for charity since Virgin became title sponsor in 2010
- Applications for the 2021 Virgin Money London Marathon Charity of the Year now open
Virgin Money has today announced a one-year extension to the sponsorship of the London Marathon, continuing its proud support for the event up until 2021. As a result, applications for the 2021 Virgin Money London Marathon Charity of the Year are now open.
Virgin first became sponsors of the London Marathon in 2010, with the ambition to help runners raise over a quarter of a billion pounds for charity over five years. That record was achieved in 2014 and the partnership has seen fundraising records broken year on year, culminating in £63.7 million being raised in 2018.
Overall, since the sponsorship began, a staggering half a billion pounds has been raised for charitable causes. This year’s Charity of the Year is Dementia Revolution, a campaign specially created for the 2019 Marathon by Alzheimer’s Society and Alzheimer’s Research UK to power ground-breaking research at the UK Dementia Research Institute. The 2020 London Marathon Charity of the Year will be Mencap and applications for the 2021 event are now open.
As well as having the opportunity to showcase their cause through the London Marathon and drive significant fundraising activity, the 2021 London Marathon Charity of the Year will be the Charity of the Year for the combined CYBG and Virgin Money employee community.
David Duffy, Chief Executive of CYBG Plc, owner of Virgin Money, said: “I am delighted to announce an extension to Virgin Money’s sponsorship of the London Marathon, up to and including the 2021 race. Whether raising money for a specific cause, a personal challenge, or just for their own health and wellbeing, the London Marathon allows ordinary people to go toe to toe in a race that attracts the best elite athletes from around the globe."
"The London Marathon is the world’s biggest annual one-day fundraising event and we are proud to also support this through our not-for-profit online fundraising platform Virgin Money Giving. Each year Virgin Money partners with a ‘Charity of the Year’ and we are now ready to receive applications for the year leading to the 2021 Marathon. We hope to hear from charities working on ambitious projects or initiatives that will make a sustainable difference in the areas where help is needed most.”
Hugh Brasher, Event Director of the Virgin Money London Marathon, said: “Our partnership with Virgin Money has helped London to become the world’s greatest marathon and the race that everyone wants to run with a world record 414,168 people applying through the ballot for the 2019 event. We are very proud of all that we have achieved together and delighted that the sponsorship has been extended to the 2021 race.”
This year also sees official London Marathon fundraising partner Virgin Money Giving celebrate its tenth birthday. It was the London Marathon that inspired Virgin Money to create its not-for-profit, online fundraising website. Since its launch in 2009, charitable donations through Virgin Money Giving have exceeded £660 million including Gift Aid. Due to its not-for-profit business model and lower fees, an estimated £20.6 million extra has reached charities.
The 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon takes place on Sunday, 28th April 2019. For fundraising ideas, to donate or to set up a donation page with Virgin Money Giving, visit https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving/. Opens in a new window
Charities who are interested in becoming the 2021 Virgin Money London Marathon Charity of the Year should visit https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving/charity-of-the-year-2021. Opens in a new window
0800 066 5998
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money offers savings, mortgages, credit cards, current accounts, currency services, pensions, investments and protection products to customers across the UK.
- Virgin Money's business ambition is to make "everyone better off" - this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders.
- Virgin Money is a wholly-owned subsidiary of CYBG Group.
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the UK’s largest not-for-profit online fundraising website from Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure.
- More than 14,500 charities have registered with Virgin Money Giving and, by the end June 2018, over £660 million had been donated to charities through the service since its launch in 2009, resulting in an estimated £20.6 million more donated to charities because of its not-for-profit model.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters and link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving provides fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice on how to raise more for charity. In addition to supporting individual fundraisers, Virgin Money Giving also supports Appeals, Corporate and In Memory fundraising.
- Virgin Money Giving is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Swim Serpentine, Prudential RideLondon and the Royal Parks Half Marathon.
Virgin Money plc - Registered in England and Wales (Company No. 6952311). Registered Office - Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.