Virgin Money Super Bowl raises £15,000 for three Sheffield charities
- Each charity received £5,000 from the bowling event at the opening of Sheffield's new Virgin Money Lounge
- 'Points meant pounds' as customers flocked to the new Sheffield city centre Lounge to show their skill and rack-up the points
Virgin Money’s new customer Lounge opened its doors last week, at 66 Fargate, in the heart of Sheffield. To celebrate the opening, the Lounge staged a charity bowling event over the past weekend in its own full-size bowling alley.
The aim was simple – for visitors to raise as much money as possible for three Sheffield charities, by having fun, bowling and scoring as many points as they could. Virgin Money pledged to convert those ‘points into pounds’ for the three lucky charities. Each of the following three charities received £5,000 from the event:
1. St Wilfrid’s Centre is a day centre for the homeless and vulnerable people of Sheffield.
Helen Lowry, Executive Assistant at St Wilfrid’s Centre said: "As a charity which has been serving the people of Sheffield for over 25 years St Wilfrid's Centre was absolutely delighted to have been chosen by Virgin Money to benefit from the Super Bowl event at the new Sheffield Lounge. This will really help to raise awareness of the vital work St Wilfrid's Centre does with homeless, vulnerable and socially excluded people, in helping them to lift their self-esteem and become more confident, skillful, independent individuals."
2. Sheffield and Rotherham Wildlife Trust works with local people to make the natural world relevant to everyone's daily lives.
Cathy Slater, Head of Development at Sheffield and Rotherham Wildlife Trust said: "We were delighted to have been chosen as one of the beneficiary charities for the Virgin Money Superbowl event. Sheffield is a wonderfully green city and the money raised will go to improve and enhance wild places in this area, for the benefit of wildlife and people. A big thank you to everyone who took part and to Virgin Money for their support."
3. Pitsmoor Adventure Playground is a staffed playground that provides indoor and outdoor facilities to 8-13 year olds.
Fran Belbin, Finance and Funding Manager at Pitsmoor said: “At Pitsmoor Adventure Playground we were thrilled to have been selected as one of the charities to be supported by the Virgin Money Superbowl event. What an innovative way to raise funds for good causes - our children practiced their bowling skills in advance in the hope of clocking up a good score! A big thank you to Virgin Money Giving for recognising the importance of play for young people.”
David Baker, Manager at Virgin Money’s Sheffield Lounge said: “Virgin Money is committed to supporting Sheffield through a wide programme of activities. Our Lounges are for our customers to enjoy, but we also invite everyone to get in touch and tell us how they could use our brilliant facilities, free of charge, for the benefit of Sheffield. As a business, we believe in making everyone better off, and at the Sheffield Lounge we are here to do just that.”
Any charity or community organization wanting to enquire about using Sheffield’s Lounge facilities for an event or business meeting should call: 01142 768 282
Virgin Money Press Office
0191 279 4676
Virgin Money Lounges
Virgin Money Lounges are a unique concept in UK banking. They are designed to be interesting, stimulating and, above all, comfortable places where customers and local communities can come together. Lounge visitors can choose to put their feet up and enjoy the facilities, use the Lounge for an informal meeting and, if a customer decides they want to undertake some personal banking, that choice is available too.
The new Sheffield Lounge takes the customer experience to a new level, offering a games area with two full-size ten-pin bowling lanes, table football, a pool table, air hockey and children’s play area. There is also a quieter floor featuring a library and bar area with complementary soft drinks and refreshments, as well as a separate area offering full banking facilities to customers in an innovatively-designed banking area.
The new Sheffield Lounge becomes the seventh to be opened in the UK, with others open in Edinburgh, Manchester, Norwich, Glasgow and two in London. All Virgin Money Lounges offer free refreshments and snacks, use of iPads, wi-fi access, televisions to catch up on the latest news, daily newspapers and facilities to help keep children entertained.
Access to Lounges is available for all Virgin Money customers and membership is free. As part of Virgin Money’s ambition to make ‘everyone better off’, Lounges are also available on request for use by the local community for events, charity meetings and fundraising activities.
Full address of the Virgin Money Sheffield Lounge: 66 Fargate, Sheffield, S1 2HE
Further information about Virgin Money Lounges is available at www.virginmoney.com/virgin/about-lounges
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money offers savings, mortgages, credit cards, current accounts, currency services, pensions, investments and protection products to over 3 million customers across the UK.
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make "everyone better off" – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders.
- More than 11,500 charities have registered with Virgin Money Giving and, by the end of 2015, over £420 million had been raised for charity through the service since its launch in 2009, resulting in an estimated £13 million more raised for charity because of its not-for-profit model.