Virgin Money signs up to support the North East's 'Cyclone Festival of Cycling' in 2016
- Taking place over the weekend of 17–19 June 2016, the Cyclone will mark its tenth anniversary
- Virgin Money will sponsor the family-orientated 'Tyne Six Bridges' ride and the popular 'Cyclone Challenge', which includes a new 90 mile distance
Virgin Money has announced that it will continue to support the new look 'Cyclone Festival of Cycling' in 2016, the tenth anniversary of the North East’s most popular cycling weekend.
The event is an integral part of the UK's cycling calendar and it continues to attract thousands of riders, from professionals and serious cycling enthusiasts, to individuals, families and groups looking to undertake their first sportive.
Virgin Money will be the headline sponsor of the 'Tyne Six Bridges' ride on the evening of Friday, 17 June 2016. This ride gives riders of all ages the opportunity to cycle the path of the River Tyne, crossing and passing some of the region's most iconic and well known bridges.
On Saturday, 18 June 2016, Virgin Money will also sponsor the 'Cyclone Challenge' rides. Taking place on the scenic roads around Newcastle and Northumberland, a new 90 mile ride has been added to compliment the existing 33, 64 and 106 mile distances. The Cyclone Challenge regularly attracts over 3,500 cyclists each year, including beginners, families and professional riders.
Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising website from Virgin Money, and is the official fundraising partner of the Cyclone Festival of Cycling. For those taking part in the weekend to support a charity, Virgin Money Giving offers a simple and convenient way to raise money. It doesn't take a penny in profit and that and that means more of the money raised goes directly to the charity, compared to other fundraising websites who charge higher fees.
Paul Lloyd, Virgin Money’s Marketing Director said: "We're proud to be supporting the Cyclone Festival of Cycling in its tenth anniversary year. It’s a brilliant North East event and a feature in the UK’s cycling calendar. In 2016 we are focussing our efforts on the two parts of the event that are great for leisure and family riders, and are such a great fit with Virgin Money’s ethos of supporting the community.
"We're delighted to sponsor the Tyne Six Bridges ride on the Friday evening to open the weekend, and on the Saturday the Virgin Money Cyclone Challenge rides, when thousands of riders can now tackle one of four distances depending on their appetite and experience, including the new 90-mile distance.
"We're also delighted that Virgin Money Giving will remain the official fundraising partner for the event. In the six years since its launch in 2009, donations through Virgin Money Giving have exceeded £344 million – over £407 million including Gift Aid. Due to its not-for-profit business model and lower fees, an estimated £12.8 million extra has reached charities compared to the same amount being raised through Just Giving, the sector’s other leading fundraising website. Virgin Money Giving offers a great way for riders in the Cyclone Festival of Cycling to maximise their fundraising potential for their charity of choice."
To find out further Cyclone Festival of cycling event information please visit: cyclonecycling.com
Virgin Money Press Office:
0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, current accounts, pensions, investment and protection products
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make "everyone better off" – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to our shareholders
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual one-day fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money has helped London Marathon runners raise over £¼ billion, including funds raised through Virgin Money Giving the not-for-profit online fundraising service, since 2010.
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising website of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Royal Parks Half Marathon, Nike Run to the Beat and the Virgin Money Cyclone
Virgin Money Holdings (UK) plc - Registered in England and Wales (Company No. 03087587). Registered Office - Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL.