Virgin Money extends sponsorship of the London Marathon to 2020 as Virgin Money Giving celebrates its sixth birthday
- Virgin Money to be title sponsor until the 40th London Marathon in 2020
- Over £315 million raised for charity since Virgin Money became sponsor in 2010
- Virgin Money Giving, the London Marathon official fundraising partner, celebrates its sixth birthday
Virgin Money has today announced a three-year extension to its sponsorship of the London Marathon, with the world’s leading marathon now proudly bearing the name ‘Virgin Money London Marathon’ up to and including the 40th race in 2020.
The news comes as Virgin Money Giving celebrates its sixth birthday. It was the London Marathon that inspired Virgin Money to create its not-for-profit, online fundraising website, which will continue as the official fundraising partner for the event. In the six years since its launch in 2009, donations through Virgin Money Giving have exceeded £344 million – over £407 million including Gift Aid. Due to its not-for-profit business model and lower fees, an estimated £12.8 million1 extra has reached charities compared to the same amount being raised through Just Giving, the sector’s other leading fundraising website.
Virgin Money first became sponsors of the London Marathon in 2010, with the ambition to help runners raise over £250 million for charity over five years. That record was surpassed in 2014 and with a further £54.1 million raised in 2015, the overall total has now swelled to over £315 million since the Virgin Money sponsorship began.
Jayne-Anne Gadhia, Chief Executive of Virgin Money said: "I am delighted to announce an extension to Virgin Money’s sponsorship of the London Marathon, up to and including the 2020 race. I was one of the 37,675 people who participated in the 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon, so I speak with personal experience when I say that it is an incredibly moving and inspirational day. Not only does the London Marathon attract elite athletes from around the globe, tens of thousands of people run to raise money for good causes, making it the world’s biggest annual one-day fundraising event, year after year.
"We are proud to support this record-breaking fundraising feat through Virgin Money Giving, which has just hit its sixth birthday. Virgin Money Giving doesn’t take a penny in profit and that means so much more money goes directly on to the charities."
Following the confirmation of funds raised from the 2015 Virgin Money London Marathon, the total raised for charity by the world’s greatest marathon has now reached more than £770 million since the event was founded in 1981.
Hugh Brasher, Event Director of the London Marathon said:"Our partnership with Virgin Money has been ground-breaking in its fundraising and we’re delighted that it will now continue to our 40th race in 2020. We look forward to creating more history together."
Virgin Money Press Office:
0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
1 Based on Virgin Money Giving’s fundraising total, comparing the costs of Virgin Money Giving with JustGiving since launch to 31 May 2015.
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, current accounts, pensions, investment and protection products
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make "everyone better off" – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to our shareholders
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual one-day fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money has helped London Marathon runners raise over £¼ billion, including funds raised through Virgin Money Giving the not-for-profit online fundraising service, since 2010.
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising website of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Royal Parks Half Marathon, Nike Run to the Beat and the Virgin Money Cyclone
Virgin Money Holdings (UK) plc - Registered in England and Wales (Company No. 03087587). Registered Office - Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL.