Virgin Money set to achieve their ambition to help London Marathon runners smash £¼ billion charity target
Runners in the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon look to have set yet another record figure for charity fundraising, with an estimate of over £53 million being raised for good causes, all linked to this year’s race.
The official total will be known in September 2014. If confirmed it would be the eighth consecutive year that the London Marathon has broken the Guinness World Record for charity fundraising at a single annual event, worldwide.
35,864 people finished the London Marathon on Sunday, 13 April 2014, with around three-quarters of those runners raising money for good causes.
Virgin Money Giving is on course to beat the £18 million raised for the 2013 London Marathon. Analysis of year-on-year donation trends suggests the Virgin Money London Marathon will beat the £53 million raised overall in 2013. This will take the total amount of money raised to over £¼ billion since Virgin Money started sponsoring the London Marathon in 2010.
Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson said: "Our aim has always been to help Virgin Money London Marathon runners smash the £¼ billion fundraising target over five years and the volume of donations flooding in suggests we are in touching distance of that fantastic target.
“It was the London Marathon that inspired us to create our not-for-profit online fundraising service, Virgin Money Giving, which helps fundraisers maximise the amount of money that actually reaches the good cause they care about. I am delighted it has been able to make such a significant contribution towards the fundraising efforts of all the runners that take on the London Marathon."
Virgin Money Giving operates a not-for-profit business model, and charges only a small fee (2%) on donations to ensure it can deliver an effective service to charities that is sustainable for the future. It does not make any charge for the collection of Gift Aid and there is no monthly fee for charities. As a result of this not-for-profit business model and low fees, it is estimated that since its launch, Virgin Money Giving has delivered an extra £7.5 million to charities because fundraisers used it instead of other fundraising sites with higher fees.
To find out more about Virgin Money Giving, or to set up a fundraising page, please visit virginmoneygiving.com.
Virgin Money Press Office
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit fundraising website launched by Virgin Money in 2009.
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity.
- Virginmoneygiving.com is the official fundraising partner of events that include the Virgin Money London Marathon, Royal Parks Half Marathon, Nike Run to the Beat and the Virgin Money Cyclone.
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products.
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business as we aim to offer good value to customers, treat employees and corporate partners well, make a positive contribution to society and deliver a profit to our shareholders.
Virgin Money Holdings (UK) Limited. Registered in England and Wales (Company No. 03087587). Registered Office - Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4PL.