Virgin Money launches the Endeavour Trophy
- The Virgin Money Endeavour Trophy has been created to celebrate the stories and achievements of ordinary people doing extraordinary things for good causes
- The Trophy was first awarded to the Walking With The Wounded South Pole Allied Challenge teams, who overcame life-changing injuries to trek 280km to the South Pole in December 2013
- The Endeavour Trophy will now be awarded on a bi-annual basis with nominations accepted from anyone doing something extraordinary for a good cause or their wider community
Virgin Money has today launched The Endeavour Trophy, to celebrate the stories and achievements of ordinary people and groups, who do extraordinary things for good causes or their wider community.
The Endeavour Trophy was inspired by the superhuman efforts of three teams of wounded servicemen and women, who trekked 280km to the South Pole in the Virgin Money South Pole Allied Challenge 2013.
Under the patronage of Prince Harry, three teams from the UK, USA and Commonwealth started the race to the South Pole on 1 December 2013. On Day 5, however, as the teams arrived at their first Checkpoint it became clear that despite the sheer grit and determination of everyone involved, the harsh reality of Antarctic conditions was starting to take its toll.
With safety of paramount importance, it was decided that over the last 112km the teams would support each other to get to the South Pole as one. They all arrived safely at the South Pole together on 13 December 2013, and in recognition of their achievement, the three teams were jointly awarded the inaugural Virgin Money Endeavour Trophy.
It is this indefatigable can-do spirit Virgin Money wants to recognise with the Endeavour Trophy. It is an award that is open for anyone to enter, so long as they meet the qualifying criteria and it will help winners to profile their support for the good causes they’re passionate about.
Eligibility to enter the Virgin Money Endeavour Trophy
- The endeavour should take those involved on a personal adventure
- The endeavour must raise money for and / or positively impact a good cause
- The endeavour should be of sufficient scale and / or originality to inspire others
- The success of the endeavour should require the participant to undergo a period of committed training and / or develop specialist knowledge or skills
Paul Lloyd, Marketing Director at Virgin Money said: "Virgin Money is very proud to launch the Endeavour Trophy. We’ve supported some incredible events and challenges over the last 5 years, events that are made great by remarkable people that go the extra mile for others. Particularly inspired by our support of the South Pole Allied Challenge, we wanted to create a new kind of award, one that celebrates people that take on their own endeavour to do some good in the world.”
“The Virgin Money Endeavour Trophy will live on and be awarded for years to come to those who do extraordinary things for good causes and the wider community.”
Entries will be reviewed by an Endeavour Trophy panel, including senior members of the Virgin Money and Virgin Money Giving teams, as well as the most recent winner of the Endeavour Trophy.
Anyone wanting to make a nomination for the Endeavour Trophy should visit extramile.co.uk.
Virgin Money Press Office
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About the Virgin Money Endeavour Trophy
- The Virgin Money Endeavour Trophy has been created as an award that celebrates people and groups who do extraordinary things for good causes and the wider community
- The distinctive design takes its cue from the HMS Endeavour, a British Royal Navy research vessel commanded by Lieutenant James Cook. The ship took Cook and his crew to Australia and New Zealand from 1769 to 1771.
- The trophy is crafted from solid white maple wood measuring 375mm by 140mm and weighing 2kg, with etchings into polished brass coins at the top and base. Production took place in the workshop of Glasgow craftsman John Galvin.
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products.
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business as we aim to offer good value to customers, treat employees and corporate partners well, make a positive contribution to society and deliver a profit to our shareholders.
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual one-day fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money aims to help runners raise over £250 million over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving.