Virgin Money extends Edinburgh Fireworks Concert sponsorship to 2017
Virgin Money has announced a new three year extension to its sponsorship of Edinburgh’s much loved Fireworks Concert. Virgin Money has been the headline sponsor of the Fireworks Concert since 2011 and the new deal will see Virgin Money sponsor the annual pyrotechnic spectacular through until 2017.
The Virgin Money Fireworks Concert represents the grand finale to the Edinburgh International Festival and this year will be performed by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra on Sunday 31 August 2014, starting at 9pm.
Over 400,000 fireworks, in hundreds of firing sequences, will be launched from Edinburgh’s iconic castle all intricately choreographed to music performed live by the Scottish Chamber Orchestra in the biggest annual fireworks concert in the world.
The Virgin Money Fireworks Concert brings together families and communities from across the city and beyond to enjoy one of the country’s most popular events. An audience estimated to be in the region of 250,000 will be drawn to various vantage points across the Scottish capital to hear and see the final celebration of Edinburgh’s summer festival season.
As well as the Edinburgh International Festival’s Fireworks Concert, Virgin Money also sponsors the Edinburgh Festival Fringe (Street events) on the Royal Mile on the Mound Precinct.
Andrew Nicholson, Head of Sponsorship at Virgin Money said: “Virgin Money is delighted to announce a three year extension to our sponsorship of the Edinburgh International Festival’s Fireworks Concert.
“The Fireworks Concert is a fitting way to close the Edinburgh International Festival and we are extremely proud to play our part in bringing people together to celebrate what makes Edinburgh such an exciting place to live, work and visit.”
Fergus Linehan, Edinburgh International Festival Director Designate said: “The Fireworks Concert is such a strong, spectacular and incredibly popular event with residents and visitors to the Festival. It’s terrific that Virgin Money has signed up to support the event for a further three years and I look forward to this impressive finale to the end of Edinburgh’s summer Festival season.”
Roy McEwan, Chief Executive of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra said: “We are delighted that Virgin Money has decided to continue to sponsor the Virgin Money Fireworks concert until at least 2017. Virgin Money is a strong player in Scotland’s corporate life and we are delighted with their continued engagement in Edinburgh’s cultural events. We have a great partnership with Virgin Money and together with the Edinburgh International Festival we are developing what will be a spectacular concert for the 2014 Virgin Money Fireworks Concert.”
- ENDS -
Virgin Money Press Office:
0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual one-day fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money has helped London Marathon runners raise over £¼ billion through Virgin Money Giving, the not-for-profit online fundraising service, since 2010.
Edinburgh International Festival
- Edinburgh International Festival 2014 runs from 8 August – 31 August.
- The Edinburgh International Festival continues to present the best in contemporary and classic work from world leading artists and remains one of the most diverse, exciting and accessible events of its kind, with ticket prices beginning at just £6. Over 2200 artists from 35 nations gather this year to share the live experience of theatre, dance, opera and music with audiences from approximately a third of the world’s nations. Visit eif.co.uk for programme information and eif.co.uk/press for further press resources.
- The Edinburgh International Festival press office will provide a welcoming central location for media visiting the Festival. It is situated in the Dunard Library at The Hub on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile and open daily between Wednesday 30 July and Sunday 31 August.
- There media have access to interview opportunities, media packs, press tickets, briefings, space to work, wifi and coffee. Dunard Library, First floor, The Hub, Castlehill, Edinburgh EH1 2NE. +44 (0)131 473 2020. firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Edinburgh International Festival is supported by The City of Edinburgh Council and Creative Scotland. Scottish Charity (SC004694).
Scottish Chamber Orchestra
- The Scottish Chamber Orchestra (SCO) is one of Scotland’s five National Performing Arts Companies. It is internationally recognised as one of the finest chamber orchestras in the world, and for its innovative approach to music-making and programme planning. The Orchestra was formed in 1974 with a commitment to serve the Scottish community and it performs throughout the country, with annual tours of the Scottish Highlands & Islands and South of Scotland augmenting its Concert Seasons in the main cities, international touring and recording. For more information, visit www.sco.org.uk.
- The Scottish Chamber Orchestra receives funding from the Scottish Government and the City of Edinburgh Council.