Virgin Money appoints new independent Non-executive Director
- Marilyn Spearing is appointed to the Board with immediate effect
Virgin Money has today announced that it has strengthened its Board through the appointment of Marilyn Spearing as an Independent Non-Executive Director, and that she will join the Board with immediate effect.
Marilyn has over 35 years experience in Financial Services, specialising in payments and cash management, and related technology platforms. Most recently she spent six years as the Global Head of Trade Finance and Cash Management at Deutsche Bank, building the business to a global scale covering 35 markets. She previously spent 11 years at HSBC as the Global Head of Payments and Cash Management, and prior to that spent 15 years at Barclays in both corporate and line management roles. Marilyn has also served on the Boards of SWIFT and BACS (now VocaLink).
Sir David Clementi, Chairman of Virgin Money, said: “Marilyn has a wealth of banking experience and I am delighted that she has agreed to join the Board of Virgin Money. Marilyn’s experience will be valuable to us as we continue to build the Company, including the launch of our current account and the development of our credit card operations. This is an excellent appointment to the Board and I look forward to working closely with Marilyn in the coming years.”
For more information, please contact the Virgin Money Press Office:Tel: 0191 279 4676
Notes to Editors
1. Virgin Money Board
Following the appointment, the Virgin Money Board will comprise:
- Sir David Clementi, Chairman
- Jayne-Anne Gadhia, Chief Executive Officer
- Lee Rochford, Chief Financial Officer
- Norman McLuskie, Independent Non-Executive Director
- Colin Keogh, Independent Non-Executive Director
- Marilyn Spearing, Independent Non-Executive Director
- Gordon McCallum, Non-Executive Director
- Patrick McCall, Non-Executive Director
- James B. Lockhart III, Non-Executive Director
2. Marilyn Spearing - Career Summary
2010 – 2011 One of the founding members of the Global Trade Industry Counsel of the Bankers Association for Foreign Trade (BAFT-IFSA, Washington DC)
2005 - 2011 Board Member for SWIFT UK Ltd, London
2007 - 2010 Member of Trade Services Advisory Group, reporting to a SWIFT SCRL Board Committee.
2006 - 2010 Chair of Corporate Advisory Group, reporting to a SWIFT SCRL Board Committee.
2005 - 2008 Board Member for SWIFT SCRL, La Hulpe, Belgium. *
2000 – 2005 Board Member for BACS Ltd, now known as VocaLink, London UK
*SWIFT is a Belgium based cooperative owned and operated by its 3000+ bank members that handles secure communication of financial transactions between financial institutions including clearing companies at a global level.
Career history includes:
2006 – 2011, Deutsche Bank AG, London/Frankfurt, Managing Director
- Global Head of Trade Finance and Cash Management Corporates,
- Global Transaction Banking (GTB)
1995 – 2006, HSBC Holdings plc/HSBC Bank plc, London
- Global Head of Payments and Cash Management
1980 – 1995, Barclays Bank plc (UK from 1992, preceded by 12 years in US), including:
- 1992 – 1995: Barclays Bank, London, Managing Director, Head of Global Electronic Banking
- 1988 – 1992: Barclays de Zoete Wedd, New York, Senior Vice President, Corporate Sales