Virgin Money Golf Day raises £26,000 to help tackle blood cancer
- All money raised for Virgin Money’s Corporate Charity Anthony Nolan
- The event took place at Slaley Hall in Northumberland
The Virgin Money Charity Golf Day, featuring players from Newcastle Falcons rugby squad, has raised more than £26,000 for Anthony Nolan.
The event, which took place at Hexham’s Slaley Hall on Tuesday (27 August), saw more than 20 teams compete over a round of golf before enjoying dinner and a charity auction.
Auction lots, all of which were donated by the participating teams, included dinner at Virgin’s Kensington Roof Gardens and lots raised in excess of £13,000, which will be matched to at least £26,000 by the Northern Rock Foundation.
Brian Brodie, Virgin Money’s Customer and Distribution Director said: “The day was excellent for all involved and we were lucky enough to enjoy tremendous weather throughout.
“Thanks to the generosity of the teams, Anthony Nolan can use this incredible amount of money to recruit more life-saving bone marrow donors to its register.”
Laura Parsell, Senior Corporate Partnerships Manager at Anthony Nolan added: “We are so grateful to Virgin Money for their generous support of Anthony Nolan through their charity golf day.
“Anthony Nolan is Virgin Money’s charity of the year and we have been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm and passion shown by staff so far. We’d like to say a big thank you to everyone who took part and to the staff at Virgin Money who put so much effort into organising the golf day.”
- ENDS -
Virgin Money Press Office
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers.
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business as we aim to offer good value to customers, treat employees well, make a positive contribution to society and deliver a profit to our shareholders.
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money aims to help runners raise over £250 million over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving.
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure.
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid, which means for every £10 raised charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any money left over after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities.
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity.