Dundee Virgin Money staff cycle for blood cancer charity
- Charity cycle raised over £230 for blood cancer charity, Anthony Nolan
Staff at the Virgin Money Store in Dundee completed a 100km bike ride last weekend to raise money for blood cancer charity, Anthony Nolan. Over £230 was raised for the company’s charity of the year.
The Dundee Store team cycled 100 kilometres despite some awful weather and were supported in their efforts by friends and family. The bike they used for the charity cycle was kindly provided by Pure Gym.
Tracy Stewart, Store Manager at Virgin Money in Dundee said: “We are delighted to have raised over £230 for Anthony Nolan. Anthony Nolan does fantastic work, using their register to match people willing to donate bone marrow with those in desperate need of a transplant. I am very proud of the Store team for taking part and raising a great amount. Thanks to all those who supported the event and to all of those who kindly made donations.”
Tracy added: “Throughout the year we will be holding a variety of fundraising activities to raise money for Anthony Nolan. It costs £100 to add each new donor and whatever we raise is gratefully received. Online giving is an easy way for people to make donations to charity and people can find out more and donate at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/dundee-vmstore.”
Every 20 minutes someone in the UK is diagnosed with a blood cancer, such as leukaemia. For many, a blood stem cell or bone marrow transplant is their only chance of life. In order to make a transplant, a donor must be found with a matching tissue type - but unlike blood groups, there are millions of different kinds. 1,600 people in the UK and 37,000 worldwide are currently waiting for that potentially lifesaving match.
The blood cancer charity, Anthony Nolan, is also the official charity of the Virgin Money London Marathon.
- ENDS -
Virgin Money Press Office
Tel: 0191 279 4676
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money provides savings, mortgages, credit cards, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business as we aim to offer good value to customers, treat employees well, make a positive contribution to society and deliver a profit to our shareholders
- Virgin Money is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money aims to help runners raise over £250 million over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving
Virgin Money Holdings (UK) Limited registered in England and Wales under company number 03087587.
Registered Office: Discovery House, Whiting Road, Norwich, NR4 6EJ.
About Virgin Money Giving
- Virgin Money Giving is the not-for-profit online fundraising arm of Virgin Money and was established in 2009. Virgin Money uses its infrastructure and expertise as a financial services business to ensure that Virgin Money Giving is efficient and secure
- Virginmoneygiving.com is free for fundraisers, charges a flat registration fee of £100 + VAT for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid. For every £10 raised, charities receive £12.15. Virgin Money Giving charges charities the minimum fees needed to cover the running costs of the site. Any profit achieved after covering operating costs will go towards reducing fees further or improving services for fundraisers and charities
- Fundraisers can personalise their fundraising pages, send out email alerts and manage their fundraising events. They can include their own content, photos and links to their page as well as customise messages for their supporters. Fundraisers can also link their page to social networking sites. Virgin Money Giving also contains fundraising ideas and tips, offering help and advice to fundraisers on how to raise more for charity