Virgin London Triathlon gets people active and supporting good causes
- The World’s largest triathlon takes place over Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd September
- Three levels of triathlon Sprint, Super Sprint and Olympic
- Virgin Active as sponsor and Virgin Money Giving as official online fundraising partner
The Virgin Active London Triathlon, the world’s largest triathlon, takes place during the weekend of 22nd and 23rd September.
Over 13,000 athletes will take part in this year’s event and they will all be hoping to emulate the exploits of Alistair Brownlee, Great Britain’s Olympic Triathlon Gold medal winner.
Competitors taking part have the choice of three events offering different levels of difficulty:
- Super Sprint – the shortest event of the weekend, the Super Sprint consists of a 400 metre swim, a 10km bike ride and a 2.5km run to finish
- Sprint – a 750m swim is followed a 20km bike ride, with a 5km run to the finish
- Olympic – those competitors brave enough to take on the Olympic level will start with a 1,500 metre swim followed by a 40km cycle, and then if that wasn’t enough they need to find the energy to finish with a gruelling 10km run. For those who think a 40km ride isn’t enough, the Olympic Plus distance offers an 80km ride
Over 30,000 spectators are expected to cheer on the field at this unique event, which gives amateur triathletes the chance to rub shoulders with world class athletes from the elite category. The success of British athletes in the London Olympic Games – with the Brownlee brothers taking gold and bronze medals in the men’s event – is having a big impact with more and more people entering triathlons as people catch the fitness bug.
Last year saw Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson take part alongside a host of celebrity names including Nell McAndrew, Stacey Soloman and former Spice Girl Mel C.
Sir Richard said:” The London triathlon is a fantastic event. It’s the biggest of its kind in the world and I am delighted that Virgin Active as sponsor and Virgin Money Giving as official online fundraising partner do so much to make it a success. Being fit is critical in life and if you are fit and healthy in life then everything is possible.”
To find out more about the Virgin Active London Triathlon please visit: http://livetotri.co.uk/
Many of those taking part in this year’s triathlon will be doing so to raise money for a host of charities and Virgin Money Giving is proud to be the official fundraising partner of the London triathlon 2012. To set up a page or to make a donation please visit www.virginmoneygiving.com