Virgin Money sponsorship of Newcastle United to end early
- Virgin Money remains sponsor until the end of the current season
- Sponsorship ends after last match of the 2012/13 season
Virgin Money confirms that Newcastle United Football Club (“the club”) has chosen to exercise its contractual right to end the two-year sponsorship deal with the bank, following the last match, at the end of the 2012/13 season.
The agreement would otherwise run until the end of the 2013/2014 season, but either party had the right to terminate the agreement early by giving notice – the club has decided to do that.
Virgin Money remains sponsor until the end of the current season and the Virgin Money name will continue to be worn on the iconic black and white shirts until then.
Jayne-Anne Gadhia, Chief Executive at Virgin Money said:
"We were delighted to sponsor Newcastle United given the Club's importance to the North East and had hoped that this would be a relationship that would flourish for years to come. However, they have found a different option and we have to respect that."
“We remain sponsor until the end of the current season and the Virgin Money name will continue to be worn on the iconic black and white shirts until then. We hope it is a really successful season and, of course, we wish the team and fans all the very best for the future, as they strive to build on Newcastle United's proud heritage.”
- ENDS -
For further information
Tel: 0191 279 4676
Tel: +44 (0) 7834 843 384
About Virgin Money
- Following the acquisition of Northern Rock in January 2012, Virgin Money provides credit cards, mortgages, savings, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders
- Virgin is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money leads the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving