Virgin Money Cyclone entries open 1 November
- Entries for Virgin Money Cyclone open 1 November
- Second year of Virgin Money as headline sponsor
Entries for one of the country’s biggest mass cycle rides, the 2013 Virgin Money Cyclone Challenge, are set to open on 1 November it has been announced today (8 October).
The event, which will take place on Saturday 29 June 2013, attracts more than 3,500 cyclists every year from beginners and families to professional riders. Taking place on the scenic roads around Newcastle and Northumberland it is part of the Virgin Money Cyclone cycling festival, which will be sponsored by Virgin Money for the second year running.
Full details of the 2013 Virgin Money Cyclone weekend will be released later in October, with the festival set to include the Tyne 6 Bridges Leisure Rides on the Thursday (27 June) for the first time. In 2012, these new 9.5 and 14.5 rides designed for families and beginners had to be cancelled because of heavy rain and thunder storms.
Such is the attraction of the Virgin Money Cyclone Sunday event it regularly attracts the very best of British Cycling and previous participants have included Olympic medal winners Bradley Wiggins, Mark Cavendish, Victoria Pendleton, Lizzie Armistead and multi-medal winning Paralympian Sarah Storey.
Paul Lloyd, Marketing Director at Virgin Money said: "2012 was the inaugural year of the Virgin Money Cyclone and it was an excellent festival of cycling for all those taking part and watching. We are pleased to continue our sponsorship of what is the UK's premier festival of cycling. The Cyclone continues to attract some of the sports biggest names and is a great event for all the family to come and see these great athletes in action."
"Combined with our sponsorship of the Virgin London Marathon and the Edinburgh Festival 'Fringe on the high street', the sponsorship of the Cyclone embeds our involvement in the communities we serve."
Peter Harrison, the creative mind behind the Cyclone said: "I am delighted that we have Virgin Money on board as the main sponsor for a second year and I am expecting a flood of entries following what has been a remarkable year for British cycling. Previous years have seen cyclists of the caliber of Bradley Wiggins and Victoria Pendleton take part. Last year we saw Sarah Storey storm to victory in the Curlew Cup and I am sure that 2013 will be another superb four days of cycling."
For more information visit www.virginmoneycyclone.co.uk, follow @VMCyclone on Twitter or like the Virgin Money Cyclone page on Facebook.
For more information:
Tel: 0191 279 4676
About Virgin Money
- Following the acquisition of Northern Rock in January 2012, Virgin Money provides credit cards, mortgages, savings, pensions, investment and protection products to over four million customers
- Virgin Money's business ambition is to make "everyone better off" – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders
- Virgin is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money leads the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving