Virgin Money goes the distance with Marathon Credit Card and Phil Packer
- New card helps runners raise money – and save money
London Marathon sponsor Virgin Money is celebrating its five-year deal to back the world’s biggest charity fundraising day with a Virgin London Marathon Credit Card.
The card, which allows customers to donate up to 1% of their spending on card purchases to good causes, has been backed by award-winning fundraiser Phil Packer who is aiming to complete the London Marathon in 26 hours raising cash for 26 charities.
Phil Packer said: “I am looking forward to taking part in this year’s Virgin London Marathon and supporting 26 tremendous charities by walking the Marathon in 26 hours. I am using the Virgin London Marathon Credit Card as it will deliver extra money to charities and it provides great exclusive offers for runners.”
With Gift Aid relief factored in, Virgin Money’s London Marathon Credit Card enables customers who are taxpayers to give an amount equivalent to 1% of all their spending on card purchases to their nominated charity – and they can also change the charity to respond to major appeals.
It pays basic cash back equal to 0.8% on all card purchases which is increased to 1% if customers are taxpayers eligible for Gift Aid. Customers can also save money through exclusive online discounts at sweatshop.co.uk in addition to up to 35% off a range of UK IHG Hotels.
Scott Mowbray, spokesman at Virgin Money, said: “We are proud to be sponsoring the London Marathon and are determined to do all we can to ensure the world’s biggest charity fundraising event continues to deliver for good causes.
“The Virgin London Marathon Credit Card offers a great deal for runners and for those keen to raise money for charity. This credit card provides an easy and convenient way to support good causes.”
Phil Packer, who has already raised more than £1.3 million for Help for Heroes by rowing across the Channel, climbing El Capitan mountain and running the 2009 London Marathon, was named Fundraiser of the Year in the Pride of Britain Awards and received the Helen Rollason Award at the 2009 BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards.
To support Phil Packer go to www.virginmoneygiving.com/Phil.Packer
The London Marathon Charity Credit Card has a typical rate of 12.9% APR (variable) and offers a lifetime balance transfer rate of 8.9% (if transfers are made in the first 60 days of account opening). It charges a 2% balance transfer fee.
The card is part of Virgin Money’s commitment to charitable giving along with its not-for-profit online charity fundraising service virginmoneygiving.com.
virginmoneygiving.com, which is free for fundraisers, charges a flat £100 + VAT registration fee for charities and a 2% fee on all donations before Gift Aid which means for every £10 donation charities will receive £12.46.
virginmoneygiving.com, is the official sponsorship website of the Virgin London Marathon, Royal Parks Half Marathon and Sony ‘Run to the Beat’.
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money is Virgin’s financial services arm and was established in 1995 as a joint venture between the Virgin Group and Norwich Union.
- In 1997, Virgin Direct Personal Financial Services Limited launched The Virgin One Account, a joint venture with The Royal Bank of Scotland that offered the UK’s first current account mortgage direct to the retail market. In 2001, RBS bought out the Virgin Group’s stake in the joint venture.
- In April 2004 the Virgin Group took 100% ownership of Virgin Money.
- More than 2.5 million customers are currently serviced through the Virgin Money brand, which offers Payment Cards (Credit Cards & Prepaid Cards), Savings and Investment products (Stakeholder Pensions, Children’s Pensions, Employers Pensions, FTSE Tracker ISA, Bond & Gilt ISA, Climate Change ISA, Cash ISA, and Unit Trusts), General Insurance products (Motor, Home, Travel, and Pet) and Life Assurance products to the UK market.
- Virgin Money’s brand ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders.
- Virgin has signed a five-year deal to be the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. The inaugural Virgin London Marathon is on 25 April 2010. Virgin Money, the financial services division of the Virgin Group is leading the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving.
- Bank of America Europe Card Services provides the Virgin London Marathon Charity Credit Card.