Party at Potters Field
- Over 25,000 celebrate Marathon achievement
Virgin Money celebrated its sponsorship of the Virgin London Marathon with a party at Potters Field. It is estimated over 25,000 people enjoyed the sunshine, music and Marathon at the site in Southwark.
The party, next to Tower Bridge and 12.5 miles into the race, included live music from Kinetica Bloco, the Bollywood Brass Band and the Cosmic Sausages, as well as performances from Kids Company’s Urban Academy.
Holly Lambden at Kids Company, said: “Thanks to Virgin Money and the Virgin London Marathon for inviting the Young People from Kids Company to perform on this very special day; it is enriching experiences and opportunities like this that give them confidence and enthusiasm to keep up their passion for song writing and love for music.”
Adidas also hosted its adiTOUR and laid on its adiCHALLENGE adventure course for children, incorporating all of the famous landmarks of the Virgin London Marathon.
Jo Jackson, Olympic Bronze medallist in the 400 metre freestyle swimming event also made appearances throughout the day at the event, hosted by 6 Music’s Jo Good.
Boosted by the fine weather during the day after an initial downpour before the start of the race, Potters Field saw streams of people looking to make the most of the party atmosphere. Virgin Angels were on hand to give out bang bang sticks and inflatable hands, and spectators were able to watch the race on a big screen TV.
Grant Bather, spokesman at Virgin Money, said: “The whole of London turned out to celebrate all of the Virgin London Marathon runners, and it was great to be able to say thank you to the spectators and the residents of Southwark.
“The weather really helped to make the day a special occasion and the bands and live entertainment really helped to create a great atmosphere at Potters Field and around the course.”
Notes to Editors
For further information
Grant Bather, Virgin Money
07834 844 427
Kevan Reilly/Chris Jarvis, Citigate Dewe Rogerson
0207 638 9571
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money is Virgin’s financial services arm and was established in 1995 as a joint venture between the Virgin Group and Norwich Union.
- In 1997, Virgin Direct Personal Financial Services Limited launched The Virgin One Account, a joint venture with The Royal Bank of Scotland that offered the UK’s first current account mortgage direct to the retail market. In 2001, RBS bought out the Virgin Group’s stake in the joint venture.
- In April 2004 the Virgin Group took 100% ownership of Virgin Money.
- Virgin Money currently has over 2.5 million customers and offers Payment Cards (Credit Cards & Prepaid Cards), Savings and Investment products (Stakeholder Pensions, Children’s Pensions, Employers Pensions, FTSE Tracker ISA, Bond & Gilt ISA, Climate Change ISA, Cash ISA, and Unit Trusts), General Insurance products (Motor, Home, Travel, and Pet) and Life Assurance products to the UK market.
- Virgin Money’s brand ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders.
- Virgin has signed a five-year deal to be the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. The inaugural Virgin London Marathon is on 25 April 2010. Virgin Money, the financial services division of the Virgin Group is leading the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving.