Virgin Money to sponsor Newcastle United Football Club
New two-year contract for the 2012/13 and 2013/14 seasons
Virgin Money has today announced it has agreed to become shirt sponsor of Newcastle United Football Club in a two-year deal. This follows a long standing relationship between Northern Rock and Newcastle United. Virgin Money completed the acquisition of Northern Rock plc on 1 January 2012.
The club will unveil the new strip this evening with Newcastle United taking on Manchester United in the Premier League. The Virgin Money logo will be used on team shirts for the remainder of the 2011-12 season under the current sponsorship arrangements.
Jayne-Anne Gadhia, Chief Executive at Virgin Money said: "Now that Virgin Money and Northern Rock are united as one business, it gives us great pleasure to continue the shirt sponsorship of Newcastle United Football Club. The Northern Rock sponsorship started in 2003 and it is an important link to the North-East which we are pleased to continue.
"Combined with our sponsorship of the Virgin London Marathon and the Edinburgh Festival ‘Fringe on the high street’, the shirt sponsorship of Newcastle United Football Club embeds our involvement in the communities we serve.
“The first 10,000 supporters with 2011/12 season shirts that bring them to the Club shop will receive a free Virgin Money update to their shirt. Availability of this new branding will be posted on the club website but is expected at the end of the week."
Newcastle United Managing Director Derek Llambias said: "We're delighted to secure this new deal with Virgin Money and we look forward to enjoying a mutually beneficial partnership over the coming seasons. It is an excellent deal for both parties and we're very happy to have them on board."
For more information:
Brian Giles, Simon Hall
Tel: 0191 279 4676
Tel: +44 (0) 7834 843 384
About Virgin Money
- Virgin Money announced the acquisition of Northern Rock plc from Her Majesty’s Treasury on 17 November 2011. The deal completed on 1 January 2012. The acquisition included:
- 75 Northern Rock branches
- One million customers
- c.£14bn mortgage book
- c.£16bn retail deposit book
- c.2,100 employees
- Combined with Virgin Money’s existing business of three million customers, the enlarged Group has over four million customers.
- The combined business operates under the Virgin Money brand.
- Virgin Money’s business ambition is to make “everyone better off” – this philosophy underpins our approach to business by offering good value to customers, treating employees well, making a positive contribution to society and delivering a profit to shareholders.
- Virgin is the official sponsor of the London Marathon, the biggest annual fundraising event in the world. Virgin Money leads the London Marathon sponsorship with the ambition to help runners raise £¼ billion over 5 years and will use its infrastructure, online capability and financial expertise to deliver that through Virgin Money Giving.
Northern Rock plc
- On 1 January 2012, Northern Rock was acquired by Virgin Money.
- Northern Rock is a bank, authorised by the FSA as a deposit taker and mortgage lender. It offers savings accounts and mortgage products to customers in the UK. New products are offered through both direct channels - including a national branch network - and mortgage intermediaries.