In this section

Questions and answers

What we cover

What does Virgin Money Pet Insurance cover?

We have three levels of cover.

Accidental injury

This is designed to help with unexpected costs if your pet is involved in an accident - whether it's a bad landing from a tree or a scrape with a passing motor.

We'll pay up to £1,500 towards vet's fees for each injury caused by an accident, for up to 12 months from the first date of treatment. And there's no limit on the number of conditions you can claim for.

Accident and illness

It covers accidents that might happen to your pet, as well as the costs of them being ill. We'll pay up to £3,000 for each condition for up to 12 months from the first date of treatment. There's no limit on the number of conditions you can claim for.

This has limits on both the length of time and the amount we'll pay out for a claim, to help keep premiums affordable.

Accident and illness extra

If you're the sort of person who wants maximum peace of mind, this is the one for you. It offers the most comprehensive cover, paying vet fees for accidents and illness up to £6,000 for each condition – no matter how long the treatment goes on for providing the cover remains in force. And of course there's no limit on the number of conditions you can claim for.

Please note that for all our policies, cover for ongoing claims is subject to the policy remaining in force.

Within the overall vet fee limit on all policies there are maximum fee levels that apply to some treatments. Please read the Policy Wording for further details.

There are also a number of optional additional benefits you may have chosen to take with your cover. One option provides cover for accidental death, theft and straying, advertising and reward, kennel or cattery costs if you go into hospital, and the expense of cancelling or cutting short your holiday because your pet needs life saving treatment. We also offer Third party liability cover for dogs if your dog causes damage to property or injures someone.

If you take your pet on hols with you, you may also have added 'overseas travel cover'.

Check out the policy document to find out more.

What isn’t covered?

The following is not covered by Virgin Money Pet Insurance:

  • Any existing condition your pet has.
  • Any illness or disease arising in the first 14 days of cover or a pet being added to a policy.
  • Routine flea treatment, neutering or vaccinations.
  • Behavioural problems.
  • Pregnancy.
  • Food of any kind.
  • Dental treatment (unless due to accidental injury).

Please note that this list is not exhaustive - see the exclusions sections in the policy document.

Am I covered for problems my pet has suffered in the past?

Sorry, we can’t cover any conditions or signs or symptoms of injury, illness or disease that your pet suffered from before you took out the cover or any claims that are connected with any condition your pet suffered from before cover started.

Am I covered for hereditary or congenital conditions?

If you didn’t know your pet had a hereditary or congenital condition when you took out your insurance, and symptoms don’t start in the first 14 days of cover, our Accident and illness or Accident and illness extra policies would cover this.

But if you knew your pet already had this condition, or if signs or symptoms begin in the first 14 days of cover, or you have our Accidental injury policy, these conditions wouldn’t be covered.

Am I insured if my pet goes missing?

Yes, if you included the additional benefits cover on your policy, you can claim for up to £500 towards local advertising costs if your pet goes missing or is stolen. This amount includes reward money of up to £50.

Can I cover my pet for travel abroad?

Yes, if you included the ‘overseas travel cover’ on your policy. This extends your cover while traveling abroad with your pet to countries covered by the government’s Pet Travel Scheme.

Overseas travel cover insures you against:

  • Emergency expenses abroad
  • Quarantine costs
  • Replacing a lost pet passport
  • Repeat tick and worming treatment
  • And the cost of laying your pet to rest if the worst happens while you're both out of the country

There are some restrictions, and you'll have to make sure your pet is microchipped and you are abiding by the rules of the governments Pet Travel Scheme before your trip. Please read our policy document to find out more.


What's the excess on my pet insurance?

The excess is the part of the claim you pay.

Virgin Money Pet Insurance has a standard excess of £80 for cats and £95 for dogs for each injury of condition however you may have chosen to increase your excess to get a lower premium.

And if you have a dog, there’s an excess of £250 on Third party liability claims.

For pets aged seven years and older, a vet fee co-insurance amount is also payable in addition to your excess amount.

What happens if my pet is aged seven years or older?

For pets aged seven years or older, you will need to contribute 20% of the cost of the treatment for each claim made (this is known as co-insurance). This is in addition to any standard or voluntary excess that is part of your policy.

You will be able to find out more about this in the 'Veterinary fees' section of the policy document.

Making a claim

How do I make a claim?

To ensure the best claims service wherever possible always phone us before any costs for which you may wish to claim arise. Get in touch with us if you need to make a claim so we can send you a claim form.

Don’t forget to keep hold of all your receipts and make copies before attaching them to your completed form and returning it to us in the post.

Whenever you need to take your pet to the vet remember to give us a call before going or as soon after the initial treatment as possible.

To make a claim, call 0345 603 3588
Lines are open 9am - 5pm Monday - Friday.

Please have your Virgin Money Pet Insurance policy number ready. (You can find this on the top of your policy schedule.)

What if I need to make a claim when I'm on holiday?

You need to have added 'overseas travel cover' to your policy in order to claim when you're abroad with your pet.

Just proceed with the incident as you would if you were at home - the first priority is to get your pet looked after.

Remember to keep any receipts, invoices or other evidence linked to your claim. (Don’t worry if they’re not written in English - we can translate them for you as part of the service.)

You don’t need to let us know about your claim until you get back home.

For ongoing treatment, do I need to wait until the treatment has finished before I can make a claim?

No, please call us before you go to your vet and if this is not possible then as soon as you can after the initial treatment has taken place. We will then send you a claim form.

So long as the claim is eligible under the terms and conditions of the policy, we can settle any initial costs, and then make more payments later as more treatment is needed. (Remember, there is a maximum amount for each claim though).

Pet helplines

How does the 'Find a vet' helpline work?

If you and your pet are away from home, you've just moved to a new area, or for some reason your usual vet is unable to help, call our advice line any time of the day or night and we can give you details of vets throughout the UK.

Keep this number somewhere safe because you never know when you might need to call to find a vet: 0370 024 0663.

What is the 'Legal advice' helpline?

Our legal professionals are on hand to explain complex issues in a helpful, straightforward way, and offer you legal advice on anything whether or not it relates to your pet.

Call the helpline anytime on 0370 024 0663.

What is the 'Pet bereavement counselling' helpline?

Losing a pet is never easy. They can be a big part of your life. Sometimes it’s difficult to know who to talk to about it, which is why this helpline is there for you.

Staffed by professionals, you can call any time of the day or night for counselling, advice and support. The number is 0370 024 0663.

Cancelling your policy

I no longer need cover, how do I cancel my policy?

If you wish to cancel your policy you will need to call us on 0345 603 3585. Please note that if you cancel your policy there will be no cover for any new or ongoing claims after the date your policy is cancelled.

Virgin Money Pet Insurance is underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.

If you would like to talk to us about your existing policy, just give us a call on 0345 603 3585.

If you would like to make a claim, please call us on 0345 603 3588.

We’re here from 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm on Saturday and 10am to 5pm on Sunday and bank holidays.

Calls to 03 numbers cost the same as calls to 01 or 02 numbers and are included in any inclusive minutes and call plans you may have. Calls may be monitored and recorded.

Virgin Money Pet Insurance is provided by U K Insurance Limited.