- Save from as little as £1
- The more you save and climb up the tiers on balances, the higher the interest rate we pay
- Once you're 11, you can operate your account if your responsible adult agrees
- A contactless debit card to use at ATMs and in shops at home and abroad (subject to available funds)*
- No fees when you travel. We won’t charge you for spending on your card or withdrawing cash when you’re abroad.
* You can apply for a debit card once you turn 11 if you are the one operating the account. A debit card will not be issued to the responsible adult for this account.
Variable rate of 0.30% to 0.40%
AER1 / Gross1 P.A, tiered rate of interest based on balances, interest paid quarterly.View Summary box
Is this account right for you?
Great if you
- Want to open an easy access account for your child, who is 0-16 years of age.
- Want an account that can simply be transferred to them as they get older.
- You will no longer be eligible for this account when you turn 17 years old.
Unless you ask us not to, the account will automatically change to M Account, our super straight forward current account. Find out more on maturity.
- The interest rate could change.
Please read the following Summary box before applying for this account
Account name: Jumpstart account
|Balance||Gross1 (%)||AER1 (%)|
|£1,000 and over||0.40||0.40|
|£500 - £999||0.35||0.35|
|£250 - £499||0.35||0.35|
|£1 - £249||0.30||0.30|
We work out how much interest to pay you at the end of each day. This is based on the money in your account. We’ll add any interest on the last working day in March, June, September and December. The rate of interest on this account is tiered. You will earn one rate based on your account balance.
Yes, if we decrease your rate we’ll provide at least 2 months’ notice as described in your Terms Link opens in a new window. We may increase your rate without giving you notice.
|Initial deposit at account opening||Balance after 12 months|
This is only an example and does not take into account your individual circumstances.
The example assumes that:
- no further deposits or withdrawals are made;
- any interest earned stays in the account; and
- there is no change to interest rates and tiers.
- This is an account for children aged from 0 to 16 years.
- If children are under 11, the account can be opened in their name and operated by their parent, guardian, grandparent or other responsible adult.
- Children 11 years of age or older, can open and operate the account in their name provided their parent, guardian, grandparent or other responsible adult agrees.
- Children over 11 years and operating their own account can also request to have their own debit card to buy stuff or use at the cash machine.
- The account can be opened in Store.
- The minimum amount to open and maintain the account is £1. There is no maximum.
Yes. If there is a Responsible Adult operating on the account - they can withdraw funds in Store.
And if the child is able to operate the account on their own they can also withdraw funds in Store or using their debit card (if they’ve got one). Check the Terms Link opens in a new window for more info.
There is no notice period to make a withdrawal.
Interest will be paid gross.
Save with confidence
We're covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. Savings with Virgin Money are covered up to £85,000 per person.View the FSCS guarantee
Before applying please make sure that you have read the following. Retain copies for future reference.
When you turn 17
You will no longer be eligible for this account when you turn 17 years old. Find out what will happen to the account then.More on maturity Link opens in a new window
Apply in Store
If you're interested in this account, visit your local Store to apply for this account
As part of becoming a new customer we need to confirm who you are and where you live.
A parent, grandparent, guardian or other responsible adult should bring:
- ID document.
- Proof of address.
- Child's ID document, such as current passport, birth certificate or adoption certificate.
- We may also need a document to confirm the child's address if they do not live with you.
Helpful information about proof of ID documents Link opens in a new window
Other documents are also acceptable for both the adult and the child. If you do not have any of these documents, please ask in branch for further details.
Find a Store
Have savings got you stumped?
View our most frequently asked questions about our Jumpstart account.Jumpstart account FAQs
Live a life more Virgin
Exclusive perks our customers love
Bank the best savings
We don't like to brag but it's good for you to know that other people have given our savings accounts a thumbs up too. You don't just have to take our word for it.
Best Cash ISA Provider (Your Money 2023)
We're here to answer your savings questions. Chat online with one of our experts - or if it's out of hours, our handy Questions and Answers page is the place to go.View frequently asked questions