Virgin Car Insurance - Driving down cost, not cover

Virgin Car Insurance - Driving down cost, not cover

Questions and answers

Getting started

How do I get a quote?

Click here to get a quote online.

If you can’t meet any of the eligibility criteria below you'll need to call us on 0800 917 5397 for your quote as we'll need a few more details before we can go ahead:

Eligibility Criteria

  • You or your spouse must be the owner and registered keeper of the vehicle to be insured.
  • The vehicle must be kept at the home address declared within the quotation.
  • All drivers must not have any non-motoring convictions. If you have any non-motoring convictions we may still be able to offer a quote, please call us on 0800 917 5397.
  • The vehicle must be a right hand drive model. It must not have been modified, customised or a 'Q' plate vehicle.
  • Only imported vehicles from Europe and Japan are acceptable subject to the following criteria: European imports must meet UK specifications and Japanese imports must be fitted with a Thatcham 1 security device. All vehicles must be registered in the UK. For all other imports please call us on 0800 917 5397.
  • If the vehicle has been fitted with either a Thatcham 1 or Thatcham 2 security device, a copy of the fitment certificate must be sent to us.
  • You must not use your car for hire, reward, trade or delivery purposes.

If you have any questions please contact us on 0800 917 5397.

What we cover

What different types of cover can I get?

You can choose from three types of cover – comprehensive, third party fire and theft, or third party only.

Comprehensive covers you for damage to your car and your possessions (personal possesions cover is limited to £500) as well as damage to other people's vehicles or property.

Third party fire and theft covers you for any damage you cause to other people's vehicles or property but doesn't cover accidental damage to your own car. It also covers you for fire damage to your car or if someone steals your car.

Third party only covers the same things as third party fire and theft but it doesn't cover you if your car's stolen or damaged by fire. It’s the minimum amount of cover you need to have your car on the road.

Do you cover motorbikes, motorhomes, taxis, vans, caravans or boats?

Sorry but we can't cover motorbikes, motorhomes, taxis, caravans or boats. If you drive a van we may be able to cover you as long as the engines not more than 2.5litres and it is not used for commercial purposes.

Do you cover my car for business use?

We can cover your car for business use, however there may be certain exceptions. If you would like to find out more please call us on 0800 917 5397.

Do you provide short term cover?

All policies are for 12 months cover.

Can I pay by monthly installments?

This option may be offered when you get a quote. An additional charge (APR) is also applicable for paying by monthly installments and this will be shown on the quote. If you choose to pay your premium by monthly installments then this facility is provided by Premium Credit Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. To use the facility you must be resident in the UK, aged 18 years or over and hold a bank or building society current account which can support Direct Debit payments. Credit is subject to status and BDML may receive a commission for introducing customers to Premium Credit Limited.
No Claims Discounts

What is a 'no claims discount'?

If you've had car insurance for one year or more and you haven't made a claim, you can get a 'no claims discount'.

This won't apply if you've been named on someone else's policy for a year or more – you must have been the policyholder.

If you've been claim-free while you were insured on someone else's policy, we may be able to give you an introductory discount.

I've been a named driver on someone else's car for a few years – can I get a no claims discount?

We can't give you a no claims discount if you haven't had your own cover – but if you've been named on another policy and you haven't had a claim we may give you an introductory discount for the first year.

Then if you stay claim free, you can get a no claims discount the following year.

Call us on 0800 917 5397 for a quote.

I've been insured on a company car - can I get a no claims discount?

We can't give you a no claims discount but we could give you an introductory discount if:

  • you've driven a company car (not a pool car),
  • you've stopped using it within the last year,
  • you're claim free, and
  • you've not had private car insurance since then.

Once your cover is set up we'll need to see a letter from your employer confirming all of these. Call on 0800 917 5397 for a quote.

I'm getting a second car - does my no claims discount apply to that too?

Sorry, you can only get a no claims discount on your first car, however we may be able to offer you an introductory discount because of your driving experience.

Call us on 0800 917 5397 for a quote.

Can I protect my no claims discount?

Yes, you can protect your no claims discount if you have a minimum of four years. It costs a bit extra to add this to your cover but it means if you have to make a claim your no claims bonus will not be affected. So when you come to renew your policy, you keep your no claims bonus.

Please note, although you can protect your no claims discount, your premium may increase if you make claims or you receive motoring convictions. Please refer to your policy schedule for full terms and conditions.


What is an excess and what's it made up of?

The excess is the amount you have to pay in the event of a claim on your policy. There are two types – compulsory and voluntary.

The compulsory excess is set by the insurer and it will be based on a variety of factors which will differ by insurer. (If you take out a policy, your schedule will show you a breakdown of what it is made up of.)

If you take out comprehensive cover you can add a voluntary excess to help make your premium even lower.

Optional extras

What is Motor Legal Cover?

If you’re involved in a road accident that’s not your fault, you might need to claim compensation (e.g. for an injury) or claim back losses that aren’t covered by your policy (e.g. your excess).

Our Motor Legal Cover will pay up to £50,000 or up to £100,000 (depending on the cover chosen) to help you do this, and also covers other drivers on your policy and passengers.

Our Motor Legal Cover is provided by Inter Partner Assistance SA.

Here are more details of what’s covered:

  • Your excess (comprehensive cover only).
  • Repairs to your car following an accident, plus damage to your clothes, luggage or personal belongings (if you have comprehensive cover these things will already be covered).
  • Car hire costs.
  • Loss of earnings.
  • Compensation claims for death or injury.

Motor Legal Protection £50,000 Key Facts

Motor Legal Protection £100,000 Key Facts

What is Hire Car Cover?

If your car is being repaired, you’ll get a courtesy car (subject to availability), however if your car is stolen or written off in an accident you wouldn’t get a courtesy car. With Hire Car Cover, we’ll pay for a hire car if your car is stolen or written off, while your claim is being sorted.

If your car is stolen or written off in an accident, you’ll get a replacement car while your claim is being sorted.

With our comprehensive cover you can have a hire car for up to 21 days in a row, or for 14 days if you have Third party, fire and theft.

Our Guaranteed Hire Car cover is provided by Ultimate Insurance Solutions Limited.

If you rely on your car for work or simply getting around, hiring a car may be your only option if you can’t use your own. This can be a big expense at a stressful time, but choose Guaranteed Hire Car and we’ll cover the cost.

Key Facts

Policy Wording

What is Personal Accident Cover?

If you’re involved in a road accident, our Personal Accident Cover will pay out up to £10,000 if you die or up to £20,000 if you suffer a serious injury. It doesn’t matter whether the accident was your fault or not, and your passengers are covered too.

Our Personal Accident Cover is provided by Ultimate Insurance Solutions Limited.

Key Facts

What is Key and Lock Cover?

If you lose your car keys, we’ll cover the cost of getting new keys and locks fitted. We’ll pay out up to £1,500 and claiming won’t affect your No Claims Discount.

Our Key and Lock Cover is provided by Boomerang-Tag Limited.

Not only is it an inconvenience, but losing your car keys can prove costly. Key and Lock Cover takes care of the expense and hassle for you:

  • Up to £1,500 for new keys and locks, and locksmith charges.
  • Up to 3 days car hire or onward travel costs up to £75 if you’re stranded or can’t use your car because of lost, stolen or damaged keys.
  • £10 reward if someone finds your keys.
  • Simply attach the ‘boomerang’ to your keys and then any key on the fob is covered –so you can claim for your caravan, home or office keys too.

Key Facts

What Breakdown Cover do you offer?

We offer Breakdown Cover for the UK and also Breakdown Cover for the UK and Europe

If you breakdown anywhere in the UK, as long as you’re at least a quarter of a mile from home the RAC will provide roadside assistance, taking you to a garage if they can’t fix your car by the road.

This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year – so you’ll never be left stranded if your car breaks down:

  • If the RAC can’t fix your car by the road, they’ll tow you to the nearest garage or a destination of your choice within 10 miles.
  • If your car can’t be repaired locally in reasonable time, the RAC will take you, your car and up to 7 passengers to any UK mainland destination.

If you breakdown in Europe:

  • If the RAC can’t fix your car by the road, they’ll tow you to the nearest garage.
  • You’ll receive help with the costs of accommodation and continuing your journey, or getting you and your car back to the UK.

Breakdown Cover in the UK Key Facts

Breakdown Cover in the UK and Europe Key Facts

Policy Wording

Making a claim

How do I make a claim?

Please call us as soon as possible if you need to make a claim, on 0844 335 6108.

What happens if I'm in an accident that's my fault?

Firstly, never admit it's your fault. Just make sure you get the other driver's details, and report the accident to the police if you need to.

If you've got comprehensive insurance, we'll get your car repaired for you so you can be back on the road as soon as possible. Or, if your car's likely to be written off, we'll arrange for an inspection so we can send you the money for a replacement.

We'll also handle the other driver's claim as soon as possible. If the other driver's insurers send any papers directly to you then you'll need to send them on to us and we'll take care of everything for you.

If you've got third party only or third party fire and theft, we'll sort out the other driver's claim but you won't be covered for any damage to your car.

What happens if I'm in an accident that isn’t my fault?

If you've got comprehensive cover, our first priority will be to get your car back on the road. Or, if it looks like it's going to be a write-off, to get some money to you so you can get yourself a replacement.

You’ll need to pay the excess. We’ll then try to recover our costs from the person responsible for the accident.

As long as we’re successful your no claims discount won’t be affected. (Occasionally, we can’t get the money back so this would count as a claim.)

If you've got third party only or third party fire and theft cover, you'll need to get in touch with the other driver's insurer to make sure they pay for any damage to your car.

If the accident wasn’t your fault and you’ve got Motor Legal Cover, we’ll pay towards the legal costs to help you recover losses not covered by your insurance policy – like your policy excess or car repairs.

We’ll also help you claim compensation for death or injury. Plus any authorised drivers and passengers travelling with you at the time of the accident are covered as well.

What happens if my car is stolen?

The first thing you should do is report it to the police. They'll give you a crime reference number which you'll need to pass on to us when you call.

We'll then look into your claim for you and keep in touch to sort it out as soon as possible.

How does a claim affect any no claims discount?

If the accident wasn't your fault and the other driver's insurance covers it then it won't affect your no claims discount at all.

But if we have to pay the claim, even if it wasn't your fault, it will affect your discount (for example if your car is hit while it's parked and you don't know who did it). And if it was your fault it will affect your no claims discount as you'd expect.

Other questions

Who repairs my car?

Each insurer will have their own network of repairers they use.

Will I get a courtesy car while mine's being repaired?

With our comprehensive cover, if you're in an accident and your car goes to one of our approved repairers they'll sort you out with a courtesy car, provided one's available, which you can keep until your car's back on the road.

We're sorry but if your car is stolen and we're trying to recover it, or if your car's written off, we can't give you a courtesy car.

With our Hire Car Cover optional extra, we'll pay for a hire car if your car is stolen or written off whilst your claim is being sorted.

Can I use my mobile phone when I’m driving?

Since 27 February 2007, talking, texting, surfing the net, viewing or taking pictures on your hand-held phone while driving will get you a fine of up to £2,500 and 3 penalty points.

The only way you're allowed to use the phone in your car is with a hands-free kit. It’s still a distraction though. If you’re using it and not concentrating on the road, and something happens, you could be prosecuted for dangerous driving. So the best thing is to only use it when you really need to.

For more info check out the Department of Transport info at

Do I need to report any accidents to the police?

If anyone's injured then you'll need to report the accident.

If nobody's injured and you exchange details with the other driver, there's usually no need to let the police know.

However, if you have an accident and don't stop for any reason (for example, if you hit an animal) then you'll need to report it. And if someone hits you and doesn't stop then you should report this too as they've committed an offence by not stopping.

What happens when I drive abroad?

You'll need to call and let us know before you travel. Whatever type of cover you take out.

Once we've been informed you'll receive 93 days of cover in the EU at the same level. We don't provide cover for driving outside of the EU.

Renewing or cancelling your policy

How do I renew my policy?

If you’re paying monthly we’ll write to you shortly before your renewal date to confirm your premium. If you’re happy to continue you don’t need to do anything. If you no longer want the cover you’ll need to ring us to cancel.

If you paid for your policy annually we'll write to you shortly before your renewal date to confirm details of your insurance.

To set up your policy you'll need to give us a call on 0800 456 1174.

Get a quote